Author Topic: The rain is never going to stop  (Read 9666 times)

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
The rain is never going to stop
« on: January 06, 2007, 16:54:40 »
It has been raining on and off here for three weeks, I'm itching to get out there and dig but it's just too wet.

I am toying with the idea of giving up the allotment and building an ark instead  ;)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: The rain is never going to stop
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 17:03:37 »
Same here, can only harvest at the mo'
Grass needs cutting as it's so mild, but it is never dry enough!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 17:07:43 »
I saw something big and yellow in the sky today.  I vaguely recognised it but couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called.  ::)

Then the wet stuff came back again. :'(

Spent most of the day trying to rebuild the broken greenhouse.  We now have 3 sides fixed ... for now !

I might have a bit of a dig tomorrow if the yellow thing comes back.   ;D

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 17:13:13 »
Mrs. KP,
As we've now paid the war debt, the yanks must have turned the yellow thing on for a while.
Don't envy you up there though. Every weather map I see for Celtland is blue!

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 19:16:42 »
I was so keen on the plot today, had been planning a nice 'relaxing' day there all week. So it's my fault it rained! Sorry. Persevered and went anyway (on the bike). My previously waterproof jacket wasn't. I really just wanted to transplant some ailing lavender plants. Actually really felt like digging (had brought a real plasticy raincoat for at the plot) but was just cold and wet through so didn't take long for me to give up. And tomorrow is more of the rain...bah.

Tina.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 20:46:50 »
well I managed to stay up there all day despite the rain - sheltered in between deluges in the greenhouse and sowed my sweetpeas.

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 20:59:20 »
I managed to get to the allotment on Thursday and Friday 10am till 3pm both days. First time since before Christmas. Just a few spots on Thursday and a bit of drizzle on Friday morning, but the ground is so wet no chance of putting spade to soil.
Contented myself with starting to clean out the shed and greenhouse and replacing some rotting wood round one of the raised bed.
Complete bliss just to be down there again.

Rosemary

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 21:13:22 »
I managed to get to the allotment on Thursday and Friday 10am till 3pm both days. First time since before Christmas. Just a few spots on Thursday and a bit of drizzle on Friday morning, but the ground is so wet no chance of putting spade to soil.
Contented myself with starting to clean out the shed and greenhouse and replacing some rotting wood round one of the raised bed.
Complete bliss just to be down there again.

Rosemary

That is my plan for tomorrow. Just me, some cleaning things, a flask of coffee and the rain. That's if I can find the shed and greenhouse through the jungle  :)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 21:35:51 »
Managed to clear away one of my sprout beds and lime it , as found a plant with club root :'(.. I to cleaned me shed out and blocked the hold made by Mr&Mrs rat >:(.  It started to rain when in the middle of that all important job of chinwagging with fellow plot holders, ended up in my nice clean shed with a brew but not all was a loss as we managed to put the world to Rights. ::) ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 21:42:33 »
I got 90 min  wed,Thurs,Fri. Had a good tidy round, Cleaned out shed, finished a path. Trip to skip with rubbish. Bought all new seeds and potatoes from lottie shop today for all my varieties I intend to grow this year- early, late, maincrop. Spent about £30. Only tomatoes left to buy. Getting pumpkin seeds from a neighbour.

A friend went and repaired my greenhouse and did some bits & bobs. Will see tomorrow. Tomorrow - Gonna go and box in areas against fence for  pumpkins, cucumbers, rhubarb.

Forecast dry here tomorrow. Cant work ground though, but plenty to do
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 23:12:29 »
I got to mine Thursday and Friday when the kids were at school.

Dug over a 6m by 2m bed for my raspberry canes in that time and my back is now reminding me that maybe I pushed it a bit too far considering I haven't done any digging since November!

It's been vile here today - rain, rain and more rain. Gave up any hope of actually putting in my raspberries and went for coffee and a shopping spree with some friends instead.

Don't care if it rains tommorrow - it's my birthday and I've asked if we can all pop down the road to Wisley to buy 2 blackcurrant bushes and be let loose in the RHS bookshop for 1/2 an hour while my OH and the girls have cake and coffee.

(I'm not really a high maintenance kind of girl  ;D)

..... and before anyone else says it.... OK maybe at 36, "girl" is pushing my descriptive powers a little too far! ;)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 23:34:52 »

..... and before anyone else says it.... OK maybe at 36, "girl" is pushing my descriptive powers a little too far! ;)

You are as old as you feel missus ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 00:35:28 »

You are as old as you feel missus ;)

But what if some bits of you feel older than others....! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 22:09:25 »
Wheyhey!!!!!!!!!
My Terrex Autospade came yesterday - ready for when I get too old to dig with a shovel, you can move serious soil with that.
Plan for the future!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 23:38:04 »
Rained all weekend, and is still raining now!  I am supposed to be working tomoz, but the garden I visit is prone to flooding.  I might end up cancelling and going later in the week.  The forecast doesn't look great all week, lots of showers.  BOOHOO

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 23:40:00 »
I haven't been near the allotment this weekend, and that's most unusual. Nothing but rain, and I can't finally get rid of this bug I've got either.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 00:22:42 »
Decided to brave the drizzle and try and finish off the glazing in the little old greenhouse I inherited with only some of its glass on my lottie.....couldn't finish it 'coz the roof panes just wouldn't fit!  :'(

Persuaded OH to come down and try to cut the glass, he took one look, shoved the whole frame sideways (much creaking and squealing of already fitted panes, I went very pale..) and the rest fitted in brilliantly, all except the very last bit which was a shade too big. He decided to try and trim it down.....and yep, the whole pane broke! **$@~~~**!  quoth he, downed tools and went back home....

Meanwhile I stayed and did a bit of tidying up, and found a dusty bit of glass in the rubbish pile....which fitted the gap! Hurrah! Now I just have to hope the blooming thing doesn't get blown away in the gales next week!! ;D ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 00:57:10 »
Managed to get down to mine this morning, limed 3 more beds and pruned my blackcurrant bush's and cut down the raspberries.found a new rat hole into my shed  so will have to get some stuff 2moz as lottie shop don't sell it. had word with a few other pot holders it seems there's more rats this year. (have any of you guys found this to so) by 11 the rain had returned along with it's mate the wind.which is still blowing. :(

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 07:56:37 »
talking about rats, I don't know if anyone remembers, THE CLUB built a new club, right over four of our 35 year old plots ( I don't hold a grudge  ::)),
when they knocked down the old club, there was an 'avalanche' of rats out into the surrounding area, all houses , there was a right to do, all the neighbours complained, we've got quite a few on the allotment but we've also got local cats
they got in quite a lot of trouble  :-X :-X  ;D ;D

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2007, 14:48:11 »
I,m sitting here, rain still lashing down suffering from a 2 week old cold reading
all the things other people are doing that I need to do if only I had the energy
(I,m not usually a giverinner) soI,v done something!! I,v ordered this kitchen garden mag that every one praises. I,v got a sense of acheivment now proper job
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal