Author Topic: Now i feel all disheartened!  (Read 7236 times)

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
Now i feel all disheartened!
« on: January 05, 2007, 14:48:46 »
Well, we've just been up to our new lottie (yippee!) to have a look at it now it's finally ours and try to make a plan of what we're going to do with it all - it looks so big!  :o

Anyway, met a couple of chaps up there who were very friendly don't get me wrong, but they have just proceeded to tell us that putting paths in will be a nightmare cos there's no way we'll ever be able to dig the whole thing ourselves and will therefore need to have it ploughed every year. Now i'm feeling all disheartened and disappointed that we might not be able to make a go of it!  :-\

On the upside one of them has given us an old cold frame and the other gave us a few leeks that are now bubbling away in a soup on my hob so it can't all be bad can it?

Sorry for the ramblings but needed to get it off my chest, feel a bit better now  ;D
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
Re: Now i feel all disheartened!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 14:55:06 »
:)

I have great pleasure in being able to tell you they are talking crap!!!!

we dug ours over, its never been rotivated or ploughed, and now when there is any bare ground it is covered in cardboard (thanks to the co-op ;D) and manure or a carpet.

Girl power ;D ;D/ shades x
grow your own way

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 15:02:08 »
The guy's sentiments may have been for the best, but sometimes it can come out wrong! Therefore, don't panic. First of all, just how large is your plot, mine is 600 sq yds, of which 500 is cultivated, and I dig that every year, as do most gardeners near to me (the rest is shed, greenhouse etc). Plots look bigger when they are not cultivated, as there is nothing to divide up the area, so you need to measure it either by counting paces or using a measuring stick. You can 'calibrate' your pace by counting paces over a known distance, eg I pace 103 steps to 100 yards, therefore my pace is approximately one yard. Your rental agreement will probably state the size anyway, perhaps in rods (or poles or perches  :D ). You have got me rambling now !

Anyway, congratulations on starting a wonderful hobby !

Derek
The impossible is just a journey away ...

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 15:05:19 »
What a load of cobblers. All these things will reduce some digging area:

a small outdoor work area (not for planting, but for sawing, hammering making stuff), possibly a green house, a shed, water containers, Rhubarb patch, Strawberry beds(once prepared.), compost pile or bin, timber area, manure pile, chicken cree if you are allowed livestock. These are only a few of what you may decide to put in your plot. Plus - you don't have to work it all at once. A bit at a time gradually and before you know it, its done. First year always the hardest physically. (They must just be lazy or jealous because you have a bigger better plot that they wanted.) ;D ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 15:10:49 »
every time I go to my plot I bump into at least one neighbour who has an opinion on what I'm doing and how I should be doing it ::)  I just smile politely, agree, then carry on doing it my way. don't be disheartened or put off, unless your plot is several acres in size it really won't need ploughing every year!!! just do it a bit at a time, and do it how you want :)  I always get asked why my OH isn't helping me, but I know that one day I'll have the satisfaction of having done it all myself ;D I've just started to dig my first bed (am starting completely from scratch having taken on a plot of nettles and thistles) and it's very easy to feel a bit daunted by it all, but I'm just covering and ignoring the majority and concentrating on a bit at a time. I've decided to try the no-dig raised beds method, so no annual digging for me!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 15:17:50 »
Completely agree with everything said here so far.Some folk just can't help making things seem more difficult than they really are. ::)
Best advice I was given (on here probably) was -a bit at a time and enjoy it. Don't set yourselves unrealistic targets re jobs to do in a certain amount of time. It will still be there another day.
Hopefully your new friends will continue to help out with seedlings etc.
Betcha they do. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 15:26:45 »
and enjoy it.

This forum is evidence of that approach  :D Over 4500 members is proof ...

Derek
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 15:52:55 »
I have never heard of someone ploughing an allotment.  Using a rotavator maybe.  I am not going to repeat what everyone else has said, just to say I agree.  Sometimes these old hands on the site feel like they are giving good advice so you don't get dissapointed.  I had it on mine...'hows a girl going to do the digging....hows a girl going to put up a shed.....hows a girl going to do this that and the other' and you know what, they now come over to see how I am doing and are always impressed that I can grow things that have either never seen, or gave up growing long ago because they couldn't get them to grow.  It is supposed to be fun, never a chore.  When it is a chore, you are doing something wrong.  Little bit here and there is the way to go.  Congrats and take some photos to show us your new plot.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 16:20:59 »
Agree with all the above, little and often etc.

Had to laugh today; I was muck spreading, and one of the older gents came by and chatted and said 'I see he's (meaning OH, rarely seen on the plot) sorted out the glass in your greenhouse for you then! Um, well actually it was me.....why do I feel like I've come over all silly and girly when saying this?! :-[
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 17:53:30 »
Tell him were to get off next time Deb.... we have five plots and they haven't seen a rotovator.... get that fork moving!.... you can rearrange that into a well known phrase!
 ;D

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 18:31:24 »
Fork moving............moving fork...........??? what well known phrase is that then? :P

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 18:37:39 »
Congratulations - I have just got mine and wish you well just remember little but often and do not rush - do things how you want it is OK for people to advise but there is always more that 1 way to do things.

Good luck

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 19:00:51 »
Fork moving............moving fork...........??? what well known phrase is that then? :P

Could it be 'fork off'?  :o   ;D lol

MattyJC

• Half Acre
  • South Oxfordshire
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 19:16:44 »
Don't worry! It seems to be an allotment thing, reckoning people wont manage etc. They didn't think I would do much with mine when I took it on, nice proving them wrong sometimes!!

If you need inspiration, there are many great people on hear who have over come the doubters! Feel free to look at my blog too, although I haven't updated it for ages (a new years resolution!) you'll get the idea that things can be achieved even by an extremely out of shape shift worker!!

Regards

Matt

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 19:26:59 »
Tell him were to get off next time Deb.... we have five plots and they haven't seen a rotovator.... get that fork moving!.... you can rearrange that into a well known phrase!
 ;D
Goodness me! You must have tons of time. Do you live on them? Other than the old and bold who took on plots when they were not so popular, nobody can have more than one now due to the size of waiting lists.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
    • Random allotment pictures
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 19:49:30 »
The other side of the coin - my allotment neighbours are always telling me how well I'm doing - even mid summer, when the couch grass, nettles, mares tail, bind weed, thistles and brambles are all mounting a revolution! 

I think to myself - "they can't possibly mean that" - but it makes me feel better -
This is how it looked in my second September - a bit better than last year...

Keep a photographic record - it's good for looking back and reminding yourself how you're getting on.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 19:52:48 by miniroots »

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
    • Random allotment pictures
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 19:54:55 »
Sorry that picture's a bit massive - it doesn't come out that big on my website...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 20:20:02 »
Dig what you can, either strim the rest or cover it, then increase the dug area as you can. Once the perennial weeds are out there's no need to dig anyway as long as you can get hold of planty of mulch. Does your site have any grass cuttings or dead leaves dropped off tby gardening contractors? They're usually only too glad to avoid paying to dump them at a waste tip!

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2007, 10:23:10 »
Thanks everyone, you've reassured me and i'm now convinced we can do it again, the way we want to. We're off there again this morning to tidy the plot before they plough it for us, then i'll be putting paths in and doing rotation just as we planned, perhaps they'll learn a thing or two from us in the future eh?!  ::) x

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2007, 10:29:38 »
Ah, don't mind them. I'm digging my whole plot on my own by hand - about 5m x 50m. haha! Okay, it might take me a year but I'll do it. I'm tackling it as small areas, digging beds and planting as I go (or not, now that it's January) and leaving paths between. Working my way from the front to the back. Well, sort of, in a really haphazard sort of way. But all the people around me are really supportive and say don't worry about not having help, machinery, etc and that I'm doing well at my slow pace.

So smile and carry on!  :D

Tina.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal