Author Topic: What sort of sand?  (Read 2604 times)

Rose.mary

• Acre
What sort of sand?
« on: December 26, 2006, 21:05:02 »
Hi folks!

I wonder if somebody can muster up the energy, after all that food, to give me some advise on the type of sand to get from a builders merchants that would be suitable for my carrot beds. I want to get a large amount as buying in bags from the garden center at £2.99 per 25kgs is a tad to expensive.
I am frightened that I could get sand with chemicals in if I just ask for sharp sand.

Rosemary

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
Re: What sort of sand?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 21:36:44 »
mmm.......i wouldnt have thought any of it would have had chemicals in it unless it's coloured or it says it's been chemically cleaned. if if it's going in the ground i'm sure it's not going to have harmful chemicals.

and sharp sand is probably right aswell. you wouldn't want anything bigger than that otherwise you'll make the ground stoney and carrots that split or branch out.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 21:58:07 »
Builder's sand, or sharp sand are what you need. Technically, sharp sand has a slightly wider range of grain sizes than builders sand, but either are suitable for your purposes. Sorry I can't help on prices, but it is normally sold by the cubic metre (or portions).
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 11:14:50 »
Thank you wohaj and Curry for taking time to reply to my query. I am still a bit concerned about building sand as I have heard and read that it does have chemicals in it.
I think I will have to go down to the builders yard and hope to get a honest answer.

Happy New year to you all

Rosemary

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 11:53:38 »
As far as I am aware the sand does not have any chemicals added to it. The thing about sand I am lead to believe is the amount of salt that is in it, but if you flush it with plenty of clean water this should wash most of it away.

As for buying the sand you can pick up a 25kg bag of sharp sand for about £1.30 at B&Q or Wickes as for a one tonne bag that would set you back about £35 ish, but do you really need a full bag.

Alternatively have a look around for people who are having building work or landscape work (block paving) as they often just shovel it into a skip at the end of a job if they have no where to store it.

Gary

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 12:03:08 »
I don't think builders' sand has salt in it...  wouldn't that muck up the stability of mortar made with it?

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 13:53:01 »
I would have thought that if the sand had been extracted from the coast line then it could be saturated with sea/salt water, but that was only my thoughts.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 16:14:59 »
Building sand is mined/quarried or comes from river beds, not from the beach. (Saudi Arabia actually import building sand!)
I have used bags and bags of building/sharp sand to help unclog my clay-pit at the plot, also for lightening the soil for roots. No problems with it. The only time I might be tempted to buy hoticultrual sand would be when used fore potting on seedlings.
Normally, sand from the builders applied in plenty of time before you lay your seeds will give it enough time to settle into and mix with the soil and for any impurities, if any, to be neutralised.

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 21:03:24 »
Thank you!
I have a clearer idea now which road to go down. And yes I do need a lot of sand to lighten my very heavy soil.

Rosemary

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 17:44:08 »
Rosemary I'm so glad you asked this - have been pondering what sand to fill my lovely blue bath with.

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 21:02:29 »
My pleasure.
I find if I wait long enough somebody comes up with a problem that I have, and it is always good to get more than one opinion.
Happy New Year
Roremary

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 16:48:20 »
As a retired 'builder' I have found there can be some confusion as to what is builders sand & sharp sand.

Builders sand is the type used for mortar It is generally finer and can contain high amounts of clay depending upon where it is quarried.

Sharp sand or River sand as it is sometimes called is use for making concrete It is generally quite coarse/gritty.

Grit sand is a bit of each and tends to be 'man made'
i.e. it is generally the fine material left after crushing stone.

For gardening purpose I use 'River sand'

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 16:58:46 »
Rosemary,
There's no problem with 'sharp sand'
If you have a Wykes near you, the price is just over £1/bag.
I've spread many a bag over my clay, & with compost/rotted stable manure, the soil gets better by the year.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal