Author Topic: DONT FORGET BBC2  (Read 18593 times)

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
Re: DONT FORGET BBC2
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2007, 22:38:07 »
I was a bit disappointed too, although I do really like Carol and her enthusiasm is brilliant.  Loved her garden - it's gorgeous.  Hoping it'll go into a little more detail next week.

Anyone got any spare JAs ?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2007, 22:45:20 »
.....  It has tempted me to get some JA for the plot,...

I had never had anything to do with JAs before. Now I know what they are - dont think I'll bother. Dont fancy 'em taking over the plot or expanding over the area I want to contain them.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2007, 22:52:41 »
After all the reminders ..... I forgot!!! :o :o
Sudden unexpected visitors demanding dinner with menaces. :'(

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2007, 22:59:15 »
Hopefully they were more entertaining..... ::)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2007, 23:13:48 »
My allotment neighbour grows them and she just digs up what she needs throughout the winter, and whatever gets left behind provides next years crop.  They are in a small clump and have never gone mad.  I think if I did acquire any, I would plant them at the bottom end of plot number two which is shady but damp.  They could take over really and I would get the benefit of the artichokes.  I used to think they tasted like celery/aniseed.  Is this not the case then?

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2007, 23:28:39 »
I think they are a rather bland taste - like turnips? When cooked very lightly, as in stir frying, they stay crunchy and remind me of water chestnuts ... my favourite way of eating them. If you want to use them in bulk, use supersprout's idea of steaming them in their skins then squeezing them out afterwards ...

They do have a noted property though ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2007, 23:49:09 »
I missed it too, and video not working so I'm glad it wasn't much cop as the general consensus of opinion seems to be. AND we lost at cards so a cr*p evening all round here. >:( ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2007, 05:08:03 »
I get the impression that programme makers believe all the arty-farty MTV camera angles will get the younger generation engaged in the subject, far too boring to show a simple picture of whatever it is they're talking about, the attention span is down to about 12 seconds these days.

I think they are very wrong

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2007, 05:33:50 »
.....  It has tempted me to get some JA for the plot,...

I had never had anything to do with JAs before. Now I know what they are - dont think I'll bother. Dont fancy 'em taking over the plot or expanding over the area I want to contain them.

Oh please don't dismiss them yet kaytee :o :'( this business about JAs taking over isn't so bad, just like dealing with spud 'volunteers' - clear as thoroughly as you can when harvesting, then pull them out pronto the following year when they sprout.

I've had variable experiences with Jerusalem Artichokes over the years - invasiveness, small size, indifferent taste, pain for the scullery maid. Last year's huge success solved those with a gorgeous variety, generous spacing and mulching) we'll plant a couple of beds with them every year - two beds, 1m apart = twelve plants = two a month dug from November to April.

At this luxurious spacing (recommended in a 1960's Shewell-Cooper book) you can get all the tubers from the plant out easily, and the soil is well conditioned and deep dug for next year's root crops of carrot, parsnip and carrot (accidental digging for harvest don't count as digging IMO :P ;))

Large tubers are a doddle to scrub and peel for stir fries and roasties, and medium/small are easy to scrub and steam medium/small 'uns and squidge out of their skins for soups and stews. Even if you only grow one or two magnificent plants next year, your family will be able to enjoy several feeds to see if you get on with them.

If you want to try some of these beauts in the kitchen first, I'd be happy to send you a lil package ... pm me if interested :D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 05:48:10 by supersprout »

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2007, 09:04:55 »
The robin was good  :)  On a serious note ..Does any one on  here plant tatties 6inch apart ? ..  This ain't a critisism I just wondered ...Cheers Jim
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 09:18:23 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2007, 09:17:40 »
The program was like one long preview clip :'(.And who puts on a scarf like that
when ya put ya spuds in,apart from Dr WHO that is ::). As much as i like Carol Klein i think this time she got it wrong. ???

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2007, 09:18:54 »
I was a bit disappointed in this as well it seemed to have no good advice

ie JA's
No mention of the fact that if you eat to many you are going to suffer with either bad stomach aches or bad smells (or both)
How to plant etc spacing etc

and what was the bit about putting spuds 6" apart? never heard so much rubbish but then again did you see how small her spuds were when she dug them up.

Finally she then demonstrated a bean trench (which I thought looked good) but then mad no mention about planting seeds in it - depth, spacing, direct/pot etc

I thought it was rubbish but will watch the rest of the series as theres nothing better on TV

bit jealous of her house & garden though!

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2007, 12:02:00 »
Was a bit disapointed after the big build up even though it was great to see something dedicated to veggie growing. I agree it was very arty, with fancy camera shots and groovy  music and birds and cats, when I could have done with a bit more practical advice.  We were puzzled by her potato planting, and she really skipped over the JA bit, and didn't explain what sort of soil it was in, how deep to plant them how far apart  - or did my eyes glaze over at that point and I missed it?

It could  improve and I like the different projects that are being undertaken, and I also do like Carol Klein and it is nice to see a woman growing vegetables for a change, so I am reserving judgement.  :) busy_lizzie   
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 12:03:36 by busy_lizzie »
live your days not count your years

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2007, 12:55:13 »
Missed it, don't know if anyone saw me on TV on the worlds strongest man I was the third contestant ;D ;D ;D ;D. Seems I didn't miss much but are there any repeats gotta see it for myself I suppose. Potatoes 6inches my a#s 10/12 inches more like but what do I know.   ;D ;D ;D ;D :-*
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2007, 13:19:41 »
Very, very disappointed with it camera work was terrable, for people that have eye sight what is not what it used to be it is very frustrating when they do this out of focus thing with the camera. Also i picked up on spuds being planted 6" apart never heard  anything like it much to close I would say, and her saying to set spuds when the grass starts growing, in that case I must be a bit late because my grass as not stopped growing.Why on the subject of spuds how come when Carol dug hers all you seen was one potato then a load of potatoes came rolling in from the right to where she was digging to make believe she had a good crop. I do hope it will improve next week was really looking forward to it and I feel badly let down.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2007, 15:58:56 »
Have to agree with most of what's been said- I like CK but was disappointed with the programme. Had an e-mail from RHS today- they have got a website running alongside the series:

http://www.rhs.org.uk/vegetables/

Hopefully more informative than the programme! But I will still watch it, & hope it gets better.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Read it while you can, it won't last long.
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2007, 18:11:03 »
It was a programme aimed at beginners, not experts.  I thought it was a good entertaining programme that would appeal to non-growers and was a pleasant programme to watch for those of us who do grow.  There is no pleasing some people.  Always moaning that there are no programmes about veg growing, and when there is, all you do is slag it off.  What do you want - list it here and it might find it's way onto UK Living because the depth we go into, just will not appeal to a large enough number of the viewing public to warrant time on a peak channel at a peak time.  I have deleted this bit as it was typed in the heat of the moment but the general view remains.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 19:01:52 by redclanger »
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: Read it while you can, it won't last long.
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2007, 18:15:50 »
It was a programme aimed at beginners, not experts.  I thought it was a good entertaining programme that would appeal to non-growers and was a pleasant programme to watch for those of us who do grow.  There is no pleasing some people.  Always moaning that there are no programmes about veg growing, and when there is, all you do is slag it off.  What do you want - list it here and it might find it's way onto UK Living because the depth we go into, just will not appeal to a large enough number of the viewing public to warrant time on a peak channel at a peak time.  I really do think a large number of people on this board need to drag their heads out of their own arses and live in the real world.  Not their idealised view of middle Britain >:(

Why ever not?
The impossible is just a journey away ...

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2007, 18:31:04 »
don't remember putting my head up my ar*e, just voicing an opinion  :)

Yellow Petals

« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2007, 18:33:45 »
Ack, was rather hoping you'd all ignore the obvious attempt to troll and flame and let it die a deserved death  :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal