Author Topic: Big Snips  (Read 4332 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Big Snips
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2006, 09:12:13 »
we use rootrainers for all our beans, squash, leeks and even some early peas, last yeaar, I think I'll try the parsnips in them this year as we also had a very bad germination last year, too wet, too cold each time  :)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2006, 10:42:13 »
I grew quite a few parsnips and had them covered with environmesh as I had carrots in the same bed.  However, something has got into them and left orange burrows.  Could it be the carrot fly?  Does it affect parsnips?

dicky

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2006, 12:41:12 »
Hi

These were planted in March into hole full of sand/compost mix, made with a bulb planter. Cloche over them until they germinated if I remeber rightly

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2006, 12:44:30 »
Glow, I shall definitely pregerminate them next year, sounds the way to go, thanks for that, I shall know the seed are viable then.  :)

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2006, 11:59:54 »
2005 I sowed in loo rolls, and germinated them in a cold frame. Planted them out a little late though - by the time a real leaf was popping out, the root had already got to the bottom of the roll and gone sideways, stopping the 'snips from getting long.

This year I decided to compromise and sowed in loo rolls that were already in the ground. Sadly the poor weather and germination bit me, and most of the ones that *did* grow were grazed off by slugs.

I tried direct sowing the rest of the packet and got precisely one.

In desperation I bought a packet of Avonresister in June (!) and sowed them anyway, and have a nice row of those, but they're ever so tiny. That one doesn't get very big anyway. Had my one and only huge Tender and True for Christmas lunch, and now am onto the tiddlers.

2007 I am going to combine the techniques again - this time, germinate several seeds per roll in loo rolls, but plant out as soon as I can once they've at least one leaf pair, and only thin after some weeks, so there's several in one place to fight off any slug attack. I have also got several varieties to try. We get bad canker at my lotties and so I'm still trying to find the ones with most resistance.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2006, 13:40:35 »
Am I envious?   Yes and just a very strong shade of green.   Well done that gardener.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2006, 16:57:22 »
the ones I carefully nurtured in the potting shed did absolutely nothing - twice.  Finally in desperation I sowed a short line direct into the bed outside and low and behold they all appeared to germinate.  Wish I'd planted more.  Will be wiser this year.

My carrots, in the same bed, were badly affected by carrot fly and I noticed that my parsnips are 'rusty' - could they be suffering from CF too ?  or is it rust ?  (its been pretty wet here).

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2006, 17:27:15 »
I'm fairly certain that cf don't bother 'snips so it's probably rust!
 ::)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2007, 00:10:44 »
It's probably not rust or carrot fly, far more likely to be canker

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/canker_parsnip.htm

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2007, 09:21:24 »
If you find a rusty-coloured rot spreading through the roots, that's canker.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2007, 18:33:02 »
Last year (06) was our first with parsnips and did 2 rows - 1 in dibbed/compost filled holes and the other in a compost filled drill.  Both germinated 100% and produced big parsnips (half of which are still in the ground - is that o.k.?)  So we were lucky but am not bragging as our swedes were rubbish this year - for the first time ever - small and "dry" :( ???
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2007, 18:54:48 »
Canker, of course MT and Rob... obviously didn't have my thinking head on...
The Parsnips will be oK in the ground until they start making a lot of new leaves and then they go woody to support the flower stem... you can cut round the core and use the outer flesh for a bit longer...
 ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2007, 22:44:19 »
Hiya Wicker! ;D  Wish I could grow swedes.  Caulis and swedes are my enigma.  :'(

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2007, 23:06:37 »

In desperation I bought a packet of Avonresister in June (!) and sowed them anyway, and have a nice row of those, but they're ever so tiny. That one doesn't get very big anyway. Had my one and only huge Tender and True for Christmas lunch, and now am onto the tiddlers.

We get bad canker at my lotties and so I'm still trying to find the ones with most resistance.
Let me know what you think of Avonresister as thats what I was looking to get next year cos I've never grown it b4.  They only grow to approx 5inches max apparently. Apparently they are supposed to be resistant to canker and grow in poor soils. I am also looking for a longer parsnip to try if anyone has any suggestions
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Squashfan

• Acre
  • Ah, gardening!
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2007, 16:29:44 »
Hi all,
Our parsnips were things of beauty this year. Absolutely huge, some of them. It was marvellous. We did well with the Xmas veg, if I do say so myself - leeks, snips, curly kale, chard, all from the plot. I would like to impart parsnip wisdom, but I'm afraid for us it's just a combination of dumb luck and some decently-draining soil.  :P We don't weed them enough, we tend to forget to water them, etc etc.  ???
This year it's squash.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2007, 19:33:30 »
I don't think it is canker that I have in my parsnips as there are definitely burrows.  I have found the odd small worm tunnelling in.  They are about ¼inch long and not much thicker than thread.  Any other suggestions please?

I have just done a search on the web for the carrot root fly and they definitely attack parsnips.  Having seen a picture of them on the following site, I am convinced that is what I have.

http://www.rnzih.org.nz/pages/carrot_fly.htm
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 19:54:03 by Paulines7 »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2007, 21:29:00 »
You may well have both. If there's a rust-red discolouration, that's canker.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2007, 21:38:04 »
Yes, the CF give an entry for the Canker spores

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2007, 16:38:07 »
Been on your blog Rosie it all looks very nice the sprouts looked lovely. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :-*
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

mellor

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2007, 18:36:42 »
i'm sad (slightly gleeful really) that we'd ate nearly all of our snips and had none to dig up on christmas day.

was taking them in late august and they were about 8-10inces long and very fat.

i used Gladiator seed, but used a method an old boy next to me told me all about. i made deep holes for them and filled them with sharp sand topped with compost. i sowed three seeds per hole and covered in with cloches, this was about mid feb.

was chuffed to bits as its my first year and i beat a mate of mine whos been at it a few years.

Just goes to show them old boys are sly old dogs!!!! Full of tricks!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal