Author Topic: Vandals again  (Read 11484 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Vandals again
« on: December 28, 2006, 12:21:03 »
Too annoyed to post it yesterday. My fence has been deliberately smashed leaving a hole larger & wider than my gate! I think only reason they never got in was cos I had some stuff behind the inner panels.

I appreciate that allotment break-ins occur, but the area that was done is on the main road - directly under a street light, right opposite the houses! >:(

Temporary job fix at the moment till the weekend. Supported some wooden boards with razorwire on top, behind the hedge inside the allotment, away from the path.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Vandals again
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 13:52:38 »
Well I'm glad they didn't get in KT we are in the middle of a theft spree again, even got a circular from the beat bobby today!
 ::)

moonbeam

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 16:07:37 »
Bad time for us to know how you feel.just had a visit to our allotments 36 sheds etc vandalized doors ripped off windows smashed one burnt to the ground police not interested. Repairs well underway.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 17:15:37 »
Don't these dick heads have a Xmas break.   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 17:18:26 »
We had two or three plots broken in to the other night; one guy had a polytunnel slashed. The guy was on CCTV further up the lane, coming down with an Alsatian. One day we'll catch some of them.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 17:27:04 »
I've had panes smashed in the greenhouse and it looks like someone has been dancing on one of my onion beds. Carrots taken too but still plenty left.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 20:06:19 »
moonbeam,

get the police interested.We had 21 sheds including mine burnt to the ground three years ago. I took lots of photos of everything as police 'to busy'.

three years later my photos helped put away a chap who went from burning sheds,to slashing tyres, to racial hatred,(he was picked up by police on the last two) he kept a diary of the fires three years earlier and my photos and evidence was suddenly needed.

get a crime number and report every lottie fire and brake in to the police/shades x
grow your own way

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 20:34:59 »

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 22:01:15 »
The police told me "if ya don't leave anything in ya shed they have no reason to break in...do they". :P >:(. I don't lock my sheds any more at least they don't smash the door in. :(

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 09:19:28 »
We have lost several thousands of pounds worth of equipment this year, not me personally you understand but I have to try to get the insurance people to cough up (wasting my time).... now people are starting to say we should stop open days as it attracts thieves!!!! I don't see your average yellow book reader as an allotment thief!
 :-\

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 13:11:57 »
We had the same mentality on our site. Now the tennis club has installed CCTV and we get to see what they look like, they don't look like the sort who comes to that type of occasion.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 16:37:15 »
Well B***er me. Just been to plot for veg for the weekend and guess what? Nothing appears to have been taken from inside the shed (but I don't leave anything worth pinching in there),but half of my leeks have gone!!!!
I'm not going to bother replacing the lock, it seems like a waste of money to me.
Smile, it confuses people.

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 16:51:02 »
I've been told not to put a lock on the shed once it's up (sure I mentioned that before so sorry if I'm repeating) as those are the sheds the local yobs try to break into then. I'm not even planning on keeping my very few tools in it but stashing them in bin bags by the bramble pile or something instead. They just look like part of the 'rubbish' pile right now (it's not rubbish of course, it's couch grass happily dying in black sacks) and no one has bothered them yet, knock on wood.

Not sure if I'll laugh or cry if they steal my veg next year. Cry because I'm actually trying to grow my groceries, or laugh because I don't predict I'm going to be very good at this! So they'll get some pretty pathetic stuff. ;D

Not a good sign that you're by the road and streetlights though! I thought that would be my one advantage with my plot because it's in a similar place.

Tina.

Gardeners Delight

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 17:34:49 »
I know how you feel I've been attaked three times with someone taking a definite liking or maybe dislike to my blackcurrant bushes, after beeing pulled up & replanted twice on the 3rd time they were pinched. Also half my swede crop has been pulled up and thrown round. My OH keeps muttering about razor blades or broken glass :o but I told him it would be us that would end up in trouble  >:(

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 18:16:13 »
Sorted the fence out today. All fixed. Wire mesh in front of solid wood panels. Razor wire on the inside of the bushes on top & slightly behind the wood. I have also tied hessian to the fencing running at 90degrees to the damaged fence to obscure peering eyes inside. Looks well smart from inside and outside. ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2006, 19:07:51 »
Glad youv'e sorted things KT.
Just had a thought, what a pity they didn't help themselves to the swiss chard,no-one likes that. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2006, 19:15:38 »
I hate it when people nick your produce, and like it even less if they just dig it up and throw it around.... at least if they have taken it someone gets to eat it!
 >:(

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2006, 23:06:25 »
Sometimes it's not allways people braeking in but other plot holders. :(

flower

• Half Acre
  • loves music almost as much as plants
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 12:18:14 »
very true sometimes it is, the adjacent plot holders to me seem to think all thats on my plots is fair game to just lift and use on their own plot >:( mind you half the time the moron looks wasted on somat so we have spent the whole weekend  starting to put up a much higher fence which basically we shouldn't have to but its either that or lose the rest of what we have managed to acquire  to some one who has no concept of whats right or wrong ( and yes i know its them because of various items which were defo ours i.e certain markings  etc)
i am an angel really honest  wink wink

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2007, 13:45:44 »
That the problem now days nobody seems to know that is right or wrong,or they just arrogantly forget. >:(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal