Author Topic: soil testing  (Read 4349 times)

russweth

• Not So New ...
soil testing
« on: December 24, 2006, 09:35:10 »
I thought I'll test my allotment soil today (Xmas eve), results were 8.0 Alkaline, Firstly does anyone know, do i need to alter this ? if so what is the best general soil type to grow veg in And How Would i achieve this?
P.S
Everyone Have A Good Christmas !

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: soil testing
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 09:36:58 »
How did you test it? The test kits are OK, but forget meters. 8.0 is excessively alkaline - whereabouts are you, and what grows there? There's plenty of limestone in Yorkshire, but it has a flourishing flora, and not much flourishes at that pH.

russweth

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 13:55:48 »
Hi Robert
I used One Of The Kits, Grew A Lot Of Gladioli , Dahlia and also Veg last year, All Grew Fine
I'll Test Several Places Around The Allotment To See If I Get Same Results,

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 15:09:08 »
A Ph of 8 is slightly alkaline ..I would rather have it that way than a Ph of say 5 to 6 acidic... Heres a rough scale of Ph values ..

< 5.5 =
 Strongly acid
5.5 - 5.9 =
 Medium acid
6.0 - 6.4 =
 Slightly acid
6.5 - 6.9 =
 Very slightly acid
7.0 =
 Neutral
7.1 - 7.5 =
 Very slightly alkaline
7.6 - 8.0 =
 Slightly alkaline
8.1 - 8.5 =
 Medium alkaline
> 8.5 =
 Strongly alkaline
I live in South Yorks 2 mile off a limestone quarry and my Ph was very acidic when I took last Lotty over..So I couldn't generalise on my Lotty  never mind on my area..
Like Russweth says Ph needs to  be took on several places on your Lotty....
Most of the guys that I know who show veg maintain a Ph on  the alkaline side ..
Cheers Jim ...

Cheers .. Jim

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 19:03:24 »
How did you test it? The test kits are OK, but forget meters.

Do you think the meters are less accurate then? I was thinking of getting one, on the basis of it being a bit quicker and less messy, but ? worth it?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 19:40:35 »
Last growing season was my first and I never tested the soil I had quite a good year even grew things other lotties said they couldn't, several of them give me good advise and help over the year but not one of them mentioned testing the soil, now I'm rotating do you think I should start testing.   :D :D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 22:05:23 »
A tip when testing soil. Do not use tap water as if you live in a hard water area the lime in the tap water with mess up your readings. Use rain water if you can or a distiled water.

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 22:38:26 »
I've tried two meters on the soil from my plot; one gave readings of around 6-6.5, the other around 8. The former is far more plausible. That supports what I've always heard, that meters are unreliable. If you have a look at the figure partway down the page at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil_pH , you can see that mineral availability is highest at around pH 6.5-7. Most vegetables are comfortable in that range, though brassicas like it a bit more alkaline.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 12:42:53 »
I find meters do a fine job  ..I trowel a bit of the soil, damp it , heel it  to compact it ,then use meter ..
If you just stick it straight in the  garden you wont get a true reading ...There is usually instructions that come with the meters ..
Cheers .. Jim

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 15:44:31 »
I've never used one or "tested" in over 15 years at this site can't say if it is because of a natural instinct, or a good undersytanding of indicator weeds, (which ones do best in acid/alkali soils) or just bone idleness...
 :-X

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 16:38:17 »
Indicator weeds do a pretty good job. I have nettles (fertile), docks galore (horse poo, it probably went in by the ton before the horseless carriage became popular), and creeping buttercup (damp).

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 16:57:48 »
Deb - agree, but I do find the chemical tests more reliable. We use Merck test strips because we have them for the business.

As to plant preferences, Potatoes seem to be the odd man out, but flourish in our pH 6.5.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2006, 19:21:20 »
I did think of using weeds as an indicator of soil pH, but had just about every variety known to man, so it wasn't much help! I guess I will just have to try things and see how I get on!  :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2006, 20:57:00 »
Hi everybody!
I hope you had a good Christmas and are looking forward to the new season. ;D
I tested my soil with both a meter and chemicals and it is 4.5 in some beds. :o I only took over the plot at the begining of the year, so it came as no suprise to discover clubroot. :o I will be trying to raise the PH to over 7.5, if I can, in the next few months.

Rosemary

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 16:19:40 »
You'll remember the teaching - 300g lime/sq metre to raise by 1 pH?

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 20:56:28 »
Thank you Tim.
 I am going to need an awful amount of lime. I have 400 square yards, although I will not be putting any on the potato beds. I listen to gardeners saying they don't test their soil, and I think if somebody had just put a little lime on my plot over the years I would not have this problem to deal with now.
I have only been growing veg. for two years and I am learning a lot every day, particularly by reading and listening to experts.
I got a wonderful shock in July when they came to judge the allotments. I was delighted to get best allotment in Sowerby Bridge and even received a silver Rose Bowl.
I owe a lot of my award to the people on this site, not just the experts but the beginners like me who had the guts to ask questions even at the chance of seeming an idiot.

A Happy New Year to all of you and thank you for being so patient.

Rosemary

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2006, 21:55:42 »
Does anyone have any recommendations for a metre to measure soil fertility and ph and tips on using effectively. would prefer meter rather than kits as probably going to use it reasonably frequently.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal