Author Topic: ?Goldcrests  (Read 2361 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
?Goldcrests
« on: December 21, 2006, 09:44:59 »
At last we have these in the garden. I can look Carol in the eye again. There were 3 feeding this morning. This is a poor pair of shots, but it was very early.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 12:34:20 by Palustris »
Gardening is the great leveller.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: Goldcrests
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 11:24:13 »
Eric.As always I am jealous :) Great pics.

Yellow Petals

Re: Goldcrests
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 11:31:35 »

Pic 1 is a goldfinch
Pic 2 is a goldcrest

What you have there, Eric is a cutesy GoldFINCH  :)

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: ?Goldcrests
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 12:33:35 »
Rats ,rats and thrice rats!

Ok. Will confess I meant goldfinches, but had a senior moment. Either way I am chuffed with them, it is the first time we have seen them in the garden.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 12:36:13 by Palustris »
Gardening is the great leveller.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 13:10:54 »
You putting the wrong stuff out  Eric? If you have so many rats!!!
 ;D

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 13:35:06 »
OO  Eric  I do like your Goldcrestinch,   ;) ;) ;) ;)  Great pic.   Wish I could get a Goldcrest in my garden.  I have the finch but not the crest.   :-* :-*

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 14:41:00 »
Sam. WOW absolutely gorgeous

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 17:59:09 »
Goldfinches are attracted very much by sunflower hearts. They prefer these to niger seed.
At the moment I can have as many as 13 Goldfinches on the feeders, but my digital camera telephoto lens is not strong enough to take some decent close-ups.

Yellow Petals

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 18:11:28 »
Just to point out, those are not 'my' pictures, I pulled them from the web just to show the difference in the little cuties.

I've only ever seen a Goldcrest twice in all the years I've been birdwatching, how about that?!  They are gorgeous little birds, that's why I jumped straight into Eric's post, thinking he'd been lucky enough to have them in his garden. 

Along with the long tailed tits, I've only had goldfinches in the garden once!  I leave out nuts, suet covered nuts, mixed wild seed, mixed dried fruit, suet, coconuts, fat balls, fat blocks, robin mix, niger seeds and sunflower hearts but the finches do not want to come back (although I did hear a chaffinch singing in the tree a couple of weeks back lol)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 18:53:29 »
Goldcrests are common enough; I've often heard them calling, but they're hard to see as they hardly leave thick cover. They're smaller than a wren, and rather weak flyers.

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2006, 23:01:48 »
I had a small flock of goldfinches one year, but have hardly seen one since. Not changed anything at all, so am bemused - I can only assume that their favoured habitat somewhere nearby was removed?

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 13:34:56 »
 :D :D :D :D :D  I am so so happy and thanks Eric for mentioning Goldcrests.  I have had 2 of them today, most of the morning around my garden.  Tiny little birds and I would have mistaken them for wrens had I not looked closely and seen the yellow flash on top of their heads.  So thanks Eric for bringing them to my attention and this is a new garden visitor for me. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal