Author Topic: Gardening at Christmas  (Read 2497 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Gardening at Christmas
« on: December 20, 2006, 18:41:32 »
Well? do you do any over the christmas holiday?

I have heard of people who go out after thier xmas lunch, if only to poter in the greenhouse (and get out of the washing up!) I dont though, christmas and birthday are the 2 days in the year i definetly wont do any gardening. I do though remember going out to cut back perennials on christmas eve, and have done the composting between christmas and new year, plus other odd jobs that take my fancy (and weather permits).

I have a feeling though this year i wont be doing much until early january, despite having plenty to do out there (due bad weather hold ups). My last session in the garden was sunday (17th).

I am not really complaining, with all the other things to do I havent had time to garden!

So what do you do then?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Gardening at Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 19:04:56 »
saturday will be the last day for us, building up the new fruit beds before we plant in spring
also, get some chinese veggies out of the ploy and, of course, sprouts etc for christmas meal..then the family descends, brilliant  ;D ;D

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 19:14:56 »
oh  is working most days ,so i will be over lotty as much as possible,sad aint i

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 19:16:36 »
i'm in my garden most days just thinking about all the work i should be doing :P
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 19:21:24 »
Sat and Sun I will be on the plot, then boxing day, and 29th onward until new years day, back to work on the Tues. I hope to get all of my plot dug over during that period, if the weather intervenes, then there is hedge work, and paths to clear, not to mention my greenhouse, so I won't be short of work, but I will be enjoying myself. Might fire up the barbeque if I fancy it, and perhaps do a couple of sweetcorn out of the freezer if there are any left ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 19:52:49 »
Having a few days off, but I will have to look in the nursery a few times to move the bulb pots and specimen plants around to make sure they all get the right amounts of water, light and heat.

Why bother you ask. Well they are for show gardens and they have to be at their best for Chelsea.

Also I have a big job that has to be finished by march so I expect I will put a few hours in there. Just for the fresh air and exercise.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 20:16:26 »
I'll be with chums over Christmas and weather permitting will be sweeping leaves among their acres!
Will be harvesting leeks, celeriac, spuds and other home grown veg to take with.
Back at New Year to sow onion seed indoors, but that will be in the kitchen rather than the shed :)

thomasb

• Half Acre
  • Allotment in Cowley, Oxford
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 21:51:58 »
I am looking forward to gardening over the holidays...and have lots to get done. I want to finish putting boarding around my flowers and where I plan to plant asparagus next year. I must also cut back my autumn raspberries and have a bonfire.
After that I will take a break from the plot for January....if I can stay away.

Cheers,
Thomas

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 07:57:28 »
I'll be out there a couple of times... but not for long if this freezing fog doesn't lift!
 ::)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 10:52:31 »
Will be there twice on christmas day. To feed & let hens out first thing (After bairns have opened prezzies), and to lock 'em up at the end of the day
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 10:58:31 »
I will be hiding, sorry tidying in the shed when the strain of 'doing' Christmas with family gets too much
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 10:58:48 »
I will go down on Christmas eve to the plot to dig up parsnips, carrots, beetroot, celeriac and to pick sprouts, kale cabbage and chard.  My darling is only off for Chrissy day and Boxing day, and with the urchins home I may well drag them to the plot for an hour or 2 for some fresh air and exercise, plus of course I have my conservatory plantation which needs some looking at.  I have orchids and strelitzias about to open, and a few things need a cut back, and I want to get some gravel to top dress the cacti bed.  Then of course tomatos and chillis to start to sow in January!  ;D

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 23:52:37 »
Digging leeks & parsnips and picking sprouts on Christmas morning, the usual ritual. Sowing some onions in the greenhouse Boxing Day.
The digging will continue as it has from the beginning of October. My shift pattern doesn't change over Christmas so it won't make that much difference really

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 23:59:38 »
I like to wander over to the garden on Christmas Day, usually just to pick sprouts and maybe dig some parsnips, although usually try to get the parsnips dug the day before. Normally sit in the shed for a while too, just looking at the plot. It's nice and quiet on Christmas day, and it's a sort of a ritual, makes me feel good.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 16:06:39 »
I'll be there on Christmas Day  ;D A lovely couple of hours 'off' from my mother with the excuse of feeding the chickens/ducks, harvesting sprouts and parsnips and tending to Ahmed next door ... who is REALLY ILL and needs me to take him some warm tea laced with sugar because without it he will probably COLLAPSE because he's actually Muslim and his wife is a Christian and he can't BEAR the pressure of ... well ... everything to do with Christmas.

And then Italian Dario will turn up with his damson wine and we will get pissed. And then we will go home to eat dead birds smothered in gravy.

HEAVEN :D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 16:58:58 »
Nice to hear what everyone will be doing.  Tomorrow I will go over to the allotment and pick my brussel sprouts and dig up some of my parsnips for our Christmas Dinner. I always love doing this and feel quite excited.  It is usually very quiet there and a bit of a haven from all the hustle and bustle.  We were actually there last Sunday and worked for three hours digging and tidying, it was a lovely sunny day, so got loads done. I will be too busy to go during the hols but once January is here, weather permitting, we intend to spend as much time as we can as we have been given a bit more land, which is many covered bramble, so lots to do.  :) busy_lizzie   
live your days not count your years

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006, 17:29:04 »
Been to the allotment today to get some leeks for a soup i'm making then back up there Christmas eve to dig up parsnips and harvest kale, savoy cabbage &  brussels hope I have enough for a dinner (they didn't do too well), but we will have some green veg at least. Carrots are in the garage waiting to be washed. I didn't realise how time consuming it is cleaning the veg.

:) I'm a happy bunny though I achieved my goal from the allotment to have fresh veg on Christmas day.... ;)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2006, 17:46:51 »
So I guess i am not the only mad fool that does gardening at this time of year!

IMO Gardening is a 12 month. 52 week (or maybe 50 or 51 -allowing for a holiday) a year pastime. Nature doesnt stop just because the human calendar says its winter. Lets face it there is always something to do out there isnt there?

Having said that i draw the line at gardening when its freezing cold and you cant see two feet in front of you, as it has recently. Been strangely glad of having 'pre christmas preparations' to do - stoped me getting bored when i couldnt go outside this week.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2006, 17:50:27 »
I'll be down the plot as soon as I can, but I've had a terrible cold all week, plus all the Christmas shopping to do. I just got all the meat in from town. Two legs of mutton, two chickens for when that runs out, and a 5Kg box of prawns I found going cheap.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal