Author Topic: Cats  (Read 3872 times)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Cats
« on: September 28, 2003, 21:25:07 »
Yesterday watching the birds feeding ( sparrows ) drinking my tea at midday.

Suddenly they vanished could not understand it then I saw it a huge black fluffy cat. It jumped up on to the table and looked around and sat down. >:(

This cat and the two other fluffy ones knows there are dogs here but the black one has no fear broad daylight.
So yes the dogs went out the cat is three times their size. ;)
Through the day I can understand but when night time comes the animals should be inside. :(

With having the pool and fish I dont encourage cats but why do cat owners insist on putting the poor animals out at night.  it always reminds me of Fred Flintstone when he puts the milk bottles out the cat goes out at well. >:(
Teresa
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
Re: Cats
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2003, 21:34:59 »
i don't understand that either teresa, night time is such a deangerous time for cats..

my cats don't go out at all though (well except supervised in my small back yard), don't see why i should impose them on people who don't like them or the local wildlife at all.

LynneA

• Half Acre
  • Urban arable smallhoder
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2003, 22:42:59 »
As the cats I have to feed are not mine, but next door"s I don't really have a say on whether they are in or out at night, but they have a reasonable area to roam without crossing roads, and they (usually) stick close to home.  At least one of them is in overnight, and in Winter all three find a perch.

The description of the black cat  sounds like one a few doors away - huge fluffy and all black except for to huge yellow eyes.  He's only ever seen out at night.  We've nicknamed him "The Evil One"

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2003, 23:02:05 »
Hi Legless + LynneA

Our neighbrough found out they live two streets away and are rescue cats. That makes it more annoying. >:(
the orange and white one is always in next doors garden she lossed her cat and has not got the heart to shoo it out. :(
Havent seen the black and white one for a few days just this black one with white paws hubby nearly ran it over last night it was on our drive and as he come home at 9.30 saw it and jammed the brakes on  :-[the cat did not want to move.
Even had it sitting outside the kitchen window if I left the door open for sure it would walk in. ???
Well saying that I have had mice walk in even frogs and toads so a cat is nothing realy. ???
Teresa

Beer_Belly

• Acre
  • English bloke in Holland
    • ToadRunners Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2003, 09:10:12 »
I got a call from my wife when I was at my allotment that I had to return home immediately. - The emergency ? - the cat had brought her a frog as a present. I releived the cat of its prize (unharmed) and returned to my digging.

LynneA

• Half Acre
  • Urban arable smallhoder
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2003, 19:00:59 »
Means he fancies some frog flavoured Kitty Crunch! ;D

Madam woke us up before 5am the other day to proudly show us the mouse she'd caught.  We've since realised the mouse had travelled back with us from our holiday in Suffolk.  So she had Farmhouse Mouse for brekkie!

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2003, 20:32:17 »
Hi Lynne A

Is she a teanager showing she can fend for herself or just wanting to share her breakfeast with you.Bless her and as for BB and the frog could have been expencive with the vets?
My cats of years ago had no idea about mousing still had to buy the traps. The little nipper ones use to have my fingers now the plastic ones you can get I have no problems.
Oh yes since I complained about the cat havent seen the darn thing now guss what I am worried about it ?
Teresa

newboy

• Not So New ...
  • whats the story gardenin glory
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2003, 22:09:15 »
Teresa, sorry if i cause offence but Cats are at the end of the day just another wild animal tamed by man they thrive on the great outdoors. I myself have 4 (i would have more but the wife wont let me) if i tried to keep them in at night they would kill me.They are all rescue cats very much loved and all very free spirited.To say why do cat owners put them out at night is unfair all mine sleep all day and then go out playing/hunting at night I personnally think if you are going to keep cats then give them the freedom they deserve.This post goes out in memry of Mog who sadly passed away seven years after being rescued off leeds train station by me while being repetedly stamped on by three youths(i got 2 years good behaviour bond for doing the same to them)God bless her little soul XX

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2003, 00:05:39 »
Hi,
Cats like dogs have been breed to be company for man.
cats dont survive on the great outdoors believe me. Being brought up in mid wales in the country I have seen cats dumped on the hill and being too frightened to come near you run off into the fern. You might have seen them again untill the foxes or buzzards got them.
Cats are terotorial so one cat in a house is happy with house and garden more cats come in and have to find their own space hence they wonder to some garden which has not got cats and stake this as theirs.
Letting cats wonder around is dangerous to them people put poison down for rats mice and if a cat were to eat it very expencive vets bill.
Like you said you rescued a cat from youths this could happen to yours or shot at with an airgun. Or it could jump into a garden with a dog and be killed who would be to blame then.
Cats like dogs need to be trained I would not think about putting my dogs out in the street at night. Oh yes I have had cats too love them they were in the house and garden with me and learnt the word no.
They learnt not to put their paws in the goldfish bowl or jump over the fence.
Teresa

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2003, 00:52:30 »
as i've said my cats don't go out but there are some cats you cannot keep in, they cry to go out as kittens before they've ever been outside.

i wouldn't let mine out unsupervised and they are some of the happiest friendliest cats visitors have ever met, i enrich their home environment so they do hunt for a proportion of their food and have room to climb and play as they would do outside. if you could see any behavioural problems or unhappiness in my cats i would rehome them to someone who didn't live in a town so they could go out rather than let them out here.

like i say, some cats you couldn't keep in but mine are happy

Beer_Belly

• Acre
  • English bloke in Holland
    • ToadRunners Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2003, 13:35:08 »
My wifes cat goes out during the day but never ventures further than next doors garden. And we keep her in at night. Although this maybe because she spent the first 10 years of her life in an apartment and only got to get a breath of fresh air on the balcony, now we have a house with a garden she gets out a lot more (and eats a lot more catfood too).

mellie

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2003, 15:54:24 »
I have a cat but I dont let him go out, we live on a main road and he has no road sense. Another reason is because I dont like cats using my lottie as a toilet so why should other people have to put up with mine doing the same. ;D Does anyone else feel the same and not let theirs out either ???

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2003, 20:21:51 »
Our cats go out at night, their own choice. One is semi-feral and only started to come in at all a few years ago. The other is our chief Rodent Control Operative and if kept in at night tends to dig his way out, through carpet, lino, door, concrete etc all the while howling very loudly. Mind we are very rural and our garden is very large and surrounded by fields. And we do have a large weather proof building to which they have easy access, so I suppose they are not totally out.
Our other two cats, now sadly deceased (old age) used to stay in at night, again their choice.
When we lived on the edge of a very, very busy main road our cats stayed in at night, again their choice. It is a very difficult thing to know what is right sometimes.
Gardening is the great leveller.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal