Author Topic: Seed pod identity  (Read 1933 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
Seed pod identity
« on: December 14, 2006, 19:02:25 »
Hey,

so i went looking for seeds again around my village....founf some different types of maple seeds....and some sort of weeping willow seeds aswell i think.

what i need to identify is seed pods from a small garden tree. the tree was about 2.5 meters tall....it ha shed all it's leaves and all these seed pods were hanging down in clumps like maple seeds. they look like bean pods.....about 1.5 inches long....has gone a bit brown and crisp and has little black bean like seeds inside. the seeds are rock hard, about 5 mm big....and sort of roundish. the pods were already open when i took them off and some seeds had already fallen off.

does anyone know what it might be? i'm going to give them about 8 weeks of stratification in the fridge and then take them out about mid feb.

it's a shame i couldn't find any yucca seed pods on the lady's yucca down the road. i'd love to have a yucca lol.

thanks.

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
Re: Seed pod identity
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 19:09:06 »
sounds like it may be Laburnum – tons of beautiful wisteria-like yellow flowers in spring but the seeds are very poisonous. I remember a boy at primary school being rushed to hospital to have his stomach pumped because he'd eaten some for a 10p bet. kids ::) ::) ::) (he was absoultely fine, byth eway!)

see pic:

http://herba.msu.ru/pictures/Dietrich/images/604.jpg
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 19:22:13 by norfolklass »

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 19:14:56 »
eek! sorry, made the window go all long with that link... how do I shrink it?!?

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 19:16:43 »
Use the 'font size' icon, 2nd from right, top row.
Reduce the URL text size to whatever works... 7pt, at a guess?

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 19:18:50 »
i think it's probably best replacing that link with :
http://herba.msu.ru/pictures/Dietrich/images/604.jpg

but yes! thanks for that! i didn't realise the tree had those beautiful flowers. i didn't notice it in the past as it's not where i normally walk. but i just searched the name and it sounds exactly like the seed pods i have.

i'm sure it'll take like years and years for my seedlings to flower....but hey!  lol

thanks again.

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 19:31:16 »
thanks both for the techie help! :-[

just googled laburnum and looks like there are lots of gardens that have laburnum arches – well worth a visit in the spring, they're stunning trees when they're in flower. my mum has one in her back garden, when I'm there over xmas I'll have a look and see if any of the fallen seeds have germinated. if I find any I'll post you some seedlings if you like? ;)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 23:07:59 »
thanks both for the techie help! :-[

just googled laburnum and looks like there are lots of gardens that have laburnum arches – well worth a visit in the spring, they're stunning trees when they're in flower. my mum has one in her back garden, when I'm there over xmas I'll have a look and see if any of the fallen seeds have germinated. if I find any I'll post you some seedlings if you like? ;)

aww bless ya! thanks! i doubt any of them have germinated already though. they seem to be very tough seeds and look like they need a bit of cold period to loosen them up.

but never the less any seedlings would be welcomed with open arms :)

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 14:55:10 »
had a rootle about under the laburnum at my mum's but couldn't find any seedlings, sorry. thought there might be some from last year but the ground under the tree is very hard and dry and probably not the easiest place for a seed to get going. will look again the next time I'm there in case any have made it!

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 17:04:50 »
awww bless ya! thanks so much for trying though!

aww you're so sweet. i'd totally forgotten about it lol.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal