Author Topic: Scented Petunias?  (Read 2647 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
Scented Petunias?
« on: December 12, 2006, 16:03:48 »
Why is it that they never sell scented petunia seeds.....even if they are scented, they never label them as scented.

this summer i bought loads of very deep blue coloured petunia seedlings. they had the most amazing scent! it was very spicey, a bit cinnemony but just unimaginably stunning smell. and in the evenings it was very very strong. i could smell it in my bedroom everytime there was a slight breeze.

so i went looking in the garden centres....and it seems only the blue varieties are scented. and i think the darker the blue, the more scent it has....as i smelt some paler blues with a very light scent.

but all the seed catalogues i've looked at and the shops i've been in, never mention it's scent.

any reason why?

Larkspur

• Acre
Re: Scented Petunias?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 18:47:15 »
Don't know why the catalogues don't mention it but lots of petunias ars scented. Interesting you prefer the blue ones I've always found the whites have most scent. Perhaps it's a personal thing?

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 19:52:24 »
Don't know why the catalogues don't mention it but lots of petunias ars scented. Interesting you prefer the blue ones I've always found the whites have most scent. Perhaps it's a personal thing?

oh i didn't know the white ones were scented.....weird. see if i knew this i would have bought them! lol.

and i also didn't know that some of the pansies i bought were scented. they're white have an egg yolk yellow centre....and they have a slight perfume to them.

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 22:55:35 »
Many pansies are scented, but it's rarely mentioned in a catalogue. I suppose one reason is because you need to get fairly close to get the scent from them. Petunias' scent is a bit of a matter of taste, I find - some people hate it, others love it.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 11:26:39 »
this is true. but then some people hate the smell of lavender lol.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 19:53:22 »

have always found the dark purple petunias have the best scent myself/shades x
grow your own way

dchisholm

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 09:44:40 »
Very difficult to breed for scent. However, instead of petunia you could try 'Perfume' Nicotiana. Look at www.floranova.co.uk for details; presumably they can tell you who sells the seed in packets.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal