Author Topic: Flowerdew's really lost it this time  (Read 6141 times)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Flowerdew's really lost it this time
« on: December 11, 2006, 20:45:40 »
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 09:50:28 by Admin aka Dan »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Flowerdew's really lost it this time
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 22:18:58 »
Oooo, does that make me an evil non green person because we have a plassy tree?  I have to add however, ours is a recycled tree that my sis was taking to the dump - so we took it off her hands.  Phew...does that mean I am 50% okay now???? :D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 22:51:40 »
We've got a plastic tree we've had for about ten years. We used to have real ones when i was a kid, had needles permanently embedded in the carpet, and I can imagine the fuss this lot would make at that!

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 22:52:07 »
Personally I would prefer a plastic one, I hate the mess a real one makes but every year I'm outvoted. What I'm getting at is Mr. Organic personified rattling on about being cruel to trees by killing them and bringing them indoors, what about all the carrots he's eaten over the years? Is it not equally cruel to bite a lettuce leaf in half? Mashing potatoes must be up there with kicking puppies  :'(

>:( THINK ABOUT PLANTS AND VEGETABLES, THEY HAVE RIGHTS TOO  >:(

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 08:30:34 »
Surely christmas trees are just a crop like any other such as cut flowers (albeit a bit bigger). Providing they are re-cycled & the "crop" replaced I don't see the problem.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 08:49:26 »
Ah well, this is giving me a good laugh ...  :D

Never again will I go around kicking potatoes ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 08:51:10 »
Must say I'm surprised at Bob on this one- I'd have thought he would buy one with roots and plant it in the garden after Christmas- I know he likes a challenge!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 09:23:01 »
Of course if we were all members of that religious sect which does not celebrate Christmas at all, then the whole of this plastic versus real would be irrelevant anyway, would it not? ::)
Gardening is the great leveller.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 12:14:57 »
I celebrate Christmas, at Church as well! Wouldn't give it houseroom as it has no place in the Bible story but OH outvotes me every time. It is sat out on the patio now...
 ::)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 13:04:16 »
Given that Matthew and Luke wrote completely contradictory accounts of Jesus' birth, placing it at least ten years apart, it looks as though the early Christian community either didn't know the story themselves, or weren't interested in it. But later generations obviously felt different. If they're going to celebrate his birth, they have to pick a day somewhere, and the old Midwinter Festival is probably as good as any other date. It's the way it's all hijacked by commercial interests that gets me.

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 13:06:02 »
we buy a real tree every year from our local nursery (Mousehold if you're ever in Norwich, it's great!) and for every cut tree you buy you get a free babby tree with roots to plant up. we've declined the rooted one for the past few years but the first rooted one we got is still going strong in its pot in the garden. eventually we'll be able to bring him in and decorate him instead of buying another cut tree!

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 13:58:19 »
I'm with the traditionalists on this one, for lots of reasons: some logical, others pure sentiment  :)... 

I love breathing the foresty smell of a real tree!

I remember the pleasure I always had as a child walking past big bay windows with ceiling-scraper trees. So I promised myself that if I ever had a big window of my own, I'd do the same so other children could enjoy it. (We don't have lights on the outside of the house, just the tree in the window.)

And, speaking as the CEO of vacuuming activities, I find the Nordmann non-drops are as good as gold (so long as we keep the huge tub of water in which our nine-footer stands well topped up.)

The tree gets recycled here. I snip off all the branches and bung em in a bin-bag down on the lottie.
The trunks end up being big supports for ends of runner-bean frames etc.
Then, when the needles finally drop off the branches, they get used as a mulch for my blueberries, and the branches themselves become supports for next year's peas.

And since it's grown in the UK and bought from the greengrocer on my high street (and delivered on foot by the greengrocer's lad!), I'm putting a bit of cash back into two small UK businesses.

Everyone should make their own decisions about stuff like this: it's not as cut-and-dried(!) as Mr Flowerdew appears to be saying.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 14:11:39 »
<<If they're going to celebrate his birth, they have to pick a day somewhere, and the old Midwinter Festival is probably as good as any other date. It's the way it's all hijacked by commercial interests that gets me>>

I have to disagree on that one! The 'old midwinter festival' (Winter Solstice/Yule) has been NICKED from the Pagan calendar .. as has Easter (Oestara)

Don't want to start a religious debate here though and I absolutely agree with the commercial aspect of your argument.

And Xmas trees? Well as long as they're from sustainable forests/plantations and get suitably recycled then I don't see the problem. It's only the same as having a vase of cut flowers isn't it?
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 14:47:03 »
Of course if we were all members of that religious sect which does not celebrate Christmas at all, then the whole of this plastic versus real would be irrelevant anyway, would it not?

What's Christmas got to do with religion?  ???

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 17:33:28 »
These days, nothing. I wish they'd rename it and drop the commercial pop carols, so the church could get on with its own festival in peace.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 18:12:09 »
Oh is Christmas coming up then, never realised.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.
I'm artificial less mess. ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

muddy boots

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 19:33:36 »
Well, okay, can see many points of view.  Prince Albert introduced Queen Victoria to the joys of having a Christmas tree and delighted her.

Some of us have adopted it and good for them.  Those who choose to have a manmade reproduction gain the benefit of dust but no needles, which is fine by me and loads of other peeps.

However, I still like the real thing although, I have to admit that this year, it is not indoors but sitting in all its glory on top of the shed and awaiting its lights, which will be introduced this weekend!  :D

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2006, 09:09:14 »
I'd have thought that the manufacturing process (plastics, metals etc) would be far worse for the environment than anything else.

I have a tree which lives in a huge pot all year, outside, and comes in for a couple of weeks each Christmas. However, with that sort of thing you have to watch out for spruce aphid, which can defoliate the tree in days (not to mention getting sticky goo all over the carpet or furniture). I am lucky in that we have a conservatory which is kept at a lower temperature than the house, and which is separated by a double-glazed patio door. It means the tree never gets roasted and so survives the season.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2006, 11:05:08 »
 ;D

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2006, 11:24:46 »
>:(If it was up to me xmas would be like the Olympics every 4 bloody years,don't you just get fed up with this yearly gift voucher exchanging ceremony........but it's for the kids i hear you say, well when i was a sprog it was a family thing nowdays £50 for a tree real or not...ps2 games that they compleat by boxing day.................I've got me coat

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal