Author Topic: asiatic lillies and cannas  (Read 3133 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
asiatic lillies and cannas
« on: April 22, 2004, 09:41:11 »
when is it safe to start hardening them off?

They are in the shed at the mo (where I overwintered them). The Asiatics are growing nicely. The cannas seem to be doing not much yet (tiny, leggy shoot on each) and the stargazers are still asleep.
gone to pot :D

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re:asiatic lillies and cannas
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 10:31:06 »
Havent got a clue Aqui but I would be interested to know too.  I have two Canna seedlings (the seeds of which were 'relocated'  ;)from a certain well known local attraction) The seedlings are now about 6" high and starting to need a bit more space.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 11:04:43 »
Hi aquilegia, i was going to post this morning asking about lillies
i ordered my daughter quite a few from thomson&morgan and they haven`t even delivered them yet i am panicking now.they are all stargazers iam wondering if they will grow in time now. :'(

My cannas Aqu are just starting to show they have been in the garden since last year i left them all in just moved them to the back they were taking up so much room.

gillianbc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 14:04:01 »
I grew loads of both oriental and asiatic lilies last year, left them in the ground all winter and all have popped up again now.  No success with cannas though.  I started them in the greenhouse last year and planted them out in June when they were about a 8" tall - they just died.  I don't know what I did wrong.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 15:27:39 »
Gillian - that seems to suggest I can harden my asiatics off now. I'll have to do it soon before they grow too tall to fit in my mini greenhouse!

Cannas - mine didn't do well last year. They didn't grow very high and there was no sign of flower. They also seemed to be eaten by snails. They did put on a growth spurt after I split it into three, but still no flowers. I understand they are quite hungry and thirsty things!
gone to pot :D

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 17:14:38 »
Thinking of planting mine in the bog garden now I have one :D
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 09:39:50 »
I plant my cannas out into holes full of well rotted manure. Hungry little devils they are! They did really well last year, but are still languishing in my greenhouse, with no sign of any growth! :'( I am sure they will appear, as I seem to remember panicking the same time last year :o  My lily's have just been bought out of the greenhouse, but am keeping an eye out for the dreaded lily beetle who seemed to munch its way through all mine last year. :'( DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 19:18:04 »
I keep my Canna (only got one at the moment) in a large pot and last summer placed amongst the plants on my pond rockery.  I overwintered it in my greenhouse and it is now about two foot high with an extra shoot at the side.  I have brought it outside now as I think it is probably safe to do so, but if a frost is forecast I will bring it in again.  They cannot get enough water so I place the pot in a large saucer and keep it topped up.  Here is a picture of my Canna last summer.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal