Author Topic: introduction and red hot poker plants  (Read 3256 times)

dot

introduction and red hot poker plants
« on: April 20, 2004, 23:06:34 »
hi, new to allotments4all and new to forums, but having read a few posts, seems the fing is to introduce yourself first, so - hi!

Anyways I have a question about collecting seeds that you like the look of when you are out and about. I have some seeds of red hot poker plant from last autumn. I have tried putting some in compost, with good condtions and prep (I think) - nothing. I've also got some soaked in water (thought might be worth a try!). Should sow them soon!!! I'm wondering if anyone has any advice/tips etc on how to collect, store and successfully grow seeds from red how poker plant/perrenials in general. Ta very much

gillianbc

• Quarter Acre
Re:introduction and red hot poker plants
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 23:14:50 »
I'm trying red hot poker too for the first time (shop bought).  I just put them in compost and put them in near my central heating boiler.  Couple of days later they were up.  They had a couple of weeks on the kitchen windowsill until they were big enough to prick out. They're about 4 inches high and out in the unheated greenhouse now.  

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 23:37:13 »
Firstly, welcome to the funny farm dot.  But after that, I am no more than useless!  I have no idea when best to collect seeds from Kniphofia, I received mine from the RHS seed distribution scheme.  Bunged them in regular potting compost and left them in my now unheated greenhouse.  Up within a week!  Come on experts, someone out there knows what the problem is.

dot

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 20:36:59 »
Thanks guys. Feeling envious now-so tempted to go and buy some seeds - as is one of my favourite plants.  good luck with your seedlings!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 20:53:45 »
Could well be that the seed was infertile. Some plants are so interbred that they do not produce good seed. Also if you habe only the one plant it may be that the flowers were not pollinated and what you actually sowed was not seed. I have grown various species from wild collected seed with no trouble at all, but seed from garden plants has often proved difficult. If you see one called K baurii, dont bother the flowers are tiny, yellow but all you can see is the black of the stem. K. northiae has huge 6 inch wide long leaves and massive orange red flowers. K citrina is nice. K. Wrexam Yellow or Pride is fantastic. There is one with hairy leaves which I cannot remember the name of. Keep trying though

« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 20:59:44 by Palustris »
Gardening is the great leveller.

dot

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 21:55:19 »
thanks great advice. seeds i have from sea front where I live in formal planting scheme (severn estuary not as picturesque as it may sound!) - council land therefore assume plant is not wild - i was wondering where do they tend to grow in the wild - i am very intrigued now hadn't really thought about different types. Thanks again

gillianbc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 14:01:32 »
I think the species grow naturally on the scrubland in South Africa (I may be wrong). It's amazing that they're hardy here.

dot

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 21:50:54 »
what a great plant! thanks 4 that

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal