Author Topic: You sank my battleship  (Read 1577 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
You sank my battleship
« on: November 30, 2006, 11:05:25 »
Hey, guess what...my lovely son was nine yesterday  :o  :o  I don't look old enough do I LMAO.  Humour me. No I mean it.. HUMOUR ME!

We went out to Pizza Hut. I ordered one of those stuffed crust pizzas. It only came in large.it was massive! I was struggling to eat the blinking thing when I realised that I never eat the crusts of a pizza so how dumb was that!  It came home in a box and is sitting on the counter in the kitchen if anyone wants a bit.

Anyway amongst his pressies was the game Battleships. Torpedo Battleships to be precise. So there I was getting all the bits out of the box. Sticking the stickers on. clicking this bit of plastic on to that. Sorting out the pegs, ships and torpedoes...which are black marbles. NOT a battery in site! No wires. No chargers. No transformers. No lights. No sounds. "Blimey", thought I,"Wonder how he'll like this?"

Tell you what ,he loved it! We spent a good hour playing it together before his bedtime.

The only downside for him was that...I am the champion...incase you missed that... 

ME...I...AM the Admiral of the Fleet !  Three laps around the sitting room...get in!  ;D

Now he wants to know how you play it on paper..dag nabbit, I could've bought him an exercise book and been done with it.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: You sank my battleship
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 11:31:45 »
Woohoo Battleships, loved that game when I was at school, perhaps because it was so compact, could be played on any old scraps of paper ... Enjoy your promotion to Admiral, it may be shortlived when he masters the subtleties of the game  :D

PS, you don't look old enough ...  :)
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 11:40:31 »
Bit of a goer when you were 12 then, H? eh? eh? ;) ;D

Loved battleships 8)

Love pizza crusts 8) 8)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 14:14:14 »
Guess what else he got...Buccaneer!  I can remember having that game when I was a sprog but I can't remember how to play it.

So anyway,the plan is... when I fall from grace and am demoted as Admiral I aim to become a pirate Captain and nick all his treasure  ;D

Ahoy ye landlubbers, avast and all that sort of caper!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 14:19:28 »
Nah...gave it all up when I was 12  ;D

Singing..."you say crusts, but I say noot, crusts,not,crusts,not ..lets call the whole thing ooooffff"

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 16:08:27 »
We love games here, I've got a cupboard full. Shut the Box, Rumikub, Othello, all the old board games, they come out on winters evenings. We play cards alot, too.
Battleships and squares, brill. I remember having Buccaneer too.
We did a boot fair when we moved and tried to sell some boxed games, didn't sell one. :o It's great your son likes to play them Heldi.
Smile, it confuses people.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 16:55:24 »
My two love battleships!  We have the battery noisy one, but you know what, they prefer the non battery game more and they like making the sound effects!  We do laugh lots.

Heldi.....you do of course meant that he is 9 months, he couldn't possibly be 9 years!  ;)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 16:55:43 »
Ours are 16 and 13 ! We liked bored games as well... especially as we have no TV... don't let the NSPCC know!
 ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 17:33:37 »
It used to be a good one to play during boring lessons. Most of the teachers I had were so incompetent they never noticed.

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 20:51:35 »
Wait a minute... you gave your 9 year old Battleships on his birthday and didn't let him win!!!!????!!!! Aaaaawwww.... though I'm sure he'll get his own back soon enough. A friend of mine plays with her 6 year old, who doesn't quite get it all, but they love it too. A classic! There is always the 'technique' of moving your boats around. After all, a real ship would steer away from a near hit wouldn't it? heehee

Tina.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 17:41:38 »
Emaggie. My son has joined a board games club at school. He really enjoys it. We would love to play cards but both my OH and myself have forgotten how to play! I used to play a game where you had to get rid of all your cards. There were a couple of others I used to play but I can't even begin to explain how they went.  I think if we got my son to play it might improve his maths...he is struggling at the moment.  I've got a dart board too which I thought would help him in a fun way but I haven't thought of a safe place to put it yet. Hold on...maybe the lotty shed?!

EJ I think if I'd seen the noisy Battleships game I probably would have bought it thinking that is what he would prefer. That I suppose is why I was wondering if he would like a game with no electronic effects...I remember when he was about 3 or 4 we were in Fenwicks toy department. I showed him a lovely teddy bear. He looked all over it and asked what did it do and where do you switch it on ?!!!!!  I was so shocked but I suppose it is what children are used to nowadays. 

Anyway he has just gone off for the weekend with his Gameboy and his Battleships !

Timelady...let him win?! Never!!  ;D Not even on his birthday haha! I want him to think things through. I was never allowed to win against my 3 older brothers , it made me more determined and also better at dealing with defeat lol! My closest brother was a right cheat though and whenever we played penalty shots he would always make up some new rule if I was getting ahead of him. A knitted Humpty Dumpty was often used as the ball.One time we cracked a small window above a door with it...don't tell my son...or my mother come to think of it!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 20:41:42 »
Heldi, if he's struggling with maths Shut the Box, Yahtzee and Rumikub are all good for the basics. Bearded Wonder didn't believe in letting the kids win either.A bit of competitiveness is a very good thing in this world.
Daughters say the object of the game was to beat Dad, and he's one of those annoying people who is good at most things. And they did!!!!

If you like cards, how about learning to play bridge? We play in a not too serious league and really enjoy it.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 20:53:02 by Emagggie »
Smile, it confuses people.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 23:07:27 »
... I've got a dart board too which I thought would help him ...

Playing darts helped me to learn some basic adding up and taking away too

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 23:09:18 »
Cribbage is good too ... got beaten to it on the darts advice ...

Don't forget scrabble, that uses numbers associated with words, which may help in a different context.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 23:11:38 by Curry »
The impossible is just a journey away ...

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 20:18:50 »
Yes -
Cribbage
Battleships on paper
Simple Bridge

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal