Author Topic: Crazy allotment related habits  (Read 23266 times)

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
    • Random allotment pictures
Crazy allotment related habits
« on: November 30, 2006, 07:56:36 »
I had my first experience of collected leaf mould in bin liners last night...
I felt a bit furtive, and picked a nice quiet street with not too much vehicle or pedestrian traffic.
I got some funny looks from a man returning home, before he went in the house - like he'd like to phone the police, but as far as he knew taking leaves wasn't against the law...

It occurred to me that there are going to be a number of allotment-related activities I will have to hide from my friends, if I don't want them to phone an ambulance...

Are there any more I should prepare for?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Crazy allotment related habits
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 08:46:54 »
see to wee or not to wee, get a bucket and some curtains if doing on the plot !!   ;D ;D

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 09:08:36 »
Taking rubbish out of skips is one to watch out for! Best done under cover of darkness  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 09:31:59 »
Rummaging in general and clutching bits of "stuff that may come in handy in a recycling sort of way".   You've passed stage 2 when you start doing it in your work clothes ( in my case suit & heels) because the allotmentitis has spilled over into your 'other' life.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 11:47:33 »
ray has this habit of seeing wood, saying it would come in handy !!, then wondering if he can fit it in our car, a micra!!

we've got loads of wood at the plot but he can't bear it going to waste, just like me and leaves etc. :-\

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 12:02:18 »
obsessing about wooden pallets and how to get them! I've been walking past a skip with 2 on the top for ages, plucking up the courage to knock on the door and ask if I can have them, but the skip disappeared over the weekend and I missed my opportunity. however, all is not lost as my boss cycles past a printers every day and they had a big pile of them in their yard, with a "free to a good home" sign on them...

and now they're mine, all mine!!!!!!!

Spyros

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 12:30:35 »
while we're on the subject...

this 'upturned plastic bottles on bamboo canes' thing - I'm presuming helps to keep birds away?

my site looked like something out of lord of the flies when I first got my plot.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 12:52:11 »
its also a good way to stop you poking your eye out on the cane.  a very real danger.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 13:02:51 »
its also a good way to stop you poking your eye out on the cane.  a very real danger.
Those little Actimel bottles are perfect :).

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 14:24:14 »
Upturned plastic bottles on canes do help to keep birds away - AND protect your eyes (but obviously not the ones on top of runner bean canes unless you're 7ft tall  ;D )

I'm a 'tinfoil' collector though ... those little tinfoil trays with cat-food in, take-away cartons, bits of shiny stuff from food packaging in general. I string it all up so it rattles together and frightens the birdies off me peas  ;D

In spring my allotment looks like Santa's Grotto!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 14:32:50 »
You know when your bath toys get all icky acky inside? Well a family of frogs have now left the bathroom and are at the lotty waiting to have canes shoved up their holes.  :o They are soon to be joined by a plastic helicopter named Harold and a pink rubber ducky.  8)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 14:55:38 »
And these are YOUR bath toys Heldi ??!!??  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 14:58:39 »
trixibelle, you sound like a magpie, heldi, that sounds like toy abuse to me, very colourful way to stop poking your eyes out, you sound like the naughty boy next door to woody !! :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 16:03:59 »
 ;D  I'm with Ray with the wood, that will come in handy I say, OH just shaking her head asking what do you need that for, I reply I'll think of something. Done the leaves got the looks and that was in the park, haven't done the skips yet but won't be long ,taking on board the tinfoil idea Trixie, now the council dont want them in the recycle bins I will have to do my bit to keep them out of landfills.   :) ;) :D ;D :-*
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 19:48:08 »
Those little Actimel bottles are perfect :).

I thought that too, it was Yakult bottles I used but they just about lasted a couple of months and then the plastic started to break up very suddenly, and bits flew about all over the allotment, I'm still finding them!

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 19:52:59 »
I usually use 2 ltr pop bottles, cut the top 6" off, upside down next to plants to water, without the lids, on top of canes to stop nasty accidents, with the lids, use the bottom pieces for slug traps or plant saucers, also use them as mini cloches over early lettuce, seems to keep the slugs off those precious early lettuce crops  :D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2006, 21:25:37 »

It occurred to me that there are going to be a number of allotment-related activities I will have to hide from my friends

How about your first crop of jerusalem artichokes, You won't be able to hide that from your friends, unless you take up playing the trombone ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 22:46:39 »
The plastic bottles and artichokes are a must! What wouldn't I give for a sign like that about pallets!
 ;D

Spyros

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 07:29:53 »
You know when your bath toys get all icky acky inside? Well a family of frogs have now left the bathroom and are at the lotty waiting to have canes shoved up their holes.  :o They are soon to be joined by a plastic helicopter named Harold and a pink rubber ducky. 

Heidi, what you're doing is wrong.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2006, 08:13:05 »
Yes it is you wicked girl. I bet the submarine stays ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal