Author Topic: rotten onion  (Read 1483 times)

sid

• Half Acre
rotten onion
« on: November 23, 2006, 19:37:19 »
can anyone tell me why my onion s rotted when stored i had them in onion sacks and hung in the green house went in a few weeks later to get sume for tee and found they had all rotter and sume had dried up  sum even started to sprout wat am i doing wrong

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: rotten onion
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 19:49:39 »
oh that's hard luck sid :(

onions like good air circulation, dry and cool conditions - that's all I can suggest. My greenhouse has been pretty hot and moist by turns during November so I stored my onions in the spare bedroom ::) If you can string them you can see when an onion is going off and remove it before it affects any of the others - not so easy in bags :'(

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 20:44:16 »
Not the white rot??

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 22:47:56 »
If they have all gone over I would think so Tim...
 :'(

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 06:53:45 »
I've got lots of rotten ones this year as well; they were lousy, and I put it down to the weather. I've never seen so many bolting.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 16:25:26 »
;) All my whites bolted, reds a few bolted but not one single yellow bolted ??? a fairly good crop thou for my first year ;D . Hung them in the shed with string had no problem storing them like this, nearly finished them but plenty of shallots left.  :) ;) :D ;D ::)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

sid

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 19:36:27 »
thanks i will string  my next lot up

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 10:32:11 »
Or the roots up? If from the roots it is probably white rot...
 :(

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 18:36:36 »
It is funny - as you all know, we have rampant white rot on our allotments so I can only grow overwintering hunions as these seem least affected - but normally by now, they have either all been used up or the last stragglers have turned into horrid icky slime thanks to the white rot.....however....this year I still have a big bowl full in my kitchen, still firm and unrotten!  I am very happy about this as we will be using several tonight on our home made pizza (also trying to use up the mountain of basil and fresh toms we still have!). 

(Jim, my hunion hero, just to let you know, all of the lovely sets you sent me are growing really well and strongly!  Fingers crossed for a good harvest.  :-*)

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 04:04:29 »
Must confess I have had a little bit of a bad year with the summer onion sets. The Winter onion sets where brilliant. And kept better than the summer ones. I am thinking it might have been the strange summer weather. A very dry spell for a few months and then a damp wet spell in August which may have ment that they took some water up quickly and that would mean that they would not dry out enough to store.

Anyway theres always 2007 to try again.

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal