Author Topic: Raspberry plants - help.  (Read 1229 times)

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
Raspberry plants - help.
« on: November 24, 2006, 13:41:56 »
I've just bought some Autuumn Bliss raspberry plants which have ocme as five sticks planted in a biggish pot.  They are tied together but is this one plant or do I separate them when I plant them out?   :-\  Thanks.
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Raspberry plants - help.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 14:15:22 »
You separate them out into individual canes to plant out.  It must be the week for planting them, they were going like hot cakes when I was at our local nursery yesterday, I wished I had somewhere to plant some.... :(

T.

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 14:45:10 »
Thanks - that's what I thought but wanted to make sure before I went and split them up!  Haven't planted yet - too wet and windy here today and gales forecast so I thought I'd leave them in the shelter of their pots for a few more days.   :D
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

MattD

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 17:44:15 »
This is a supplementary question to amanda21's original post.

Anyone know what's the recommended spacing between canes and rows for raspberries?

I'm planning to do about 2ft between each cane and about 3ft between rows so I can squeeze down the middle.  Does this sound about right?  Also, do they appreciate manure in the planting hole or are they fussy about that kind of thing?

All this thinking about raspberries makes me long for summer.

Matt

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 18:19:48 »
Hi MattD, yes 18" to 2' is the correct spacing between canes. 3' should just about be OK between rows and yes, they will appreciate a feed both now and in the spring.

MattD

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 18:23:37 »
Thanks Larkspur.  Its good to know I'm on the right track.

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 20:09:02 »
Had 2 rows of Autumn Bliss planted 3 foot(ish) apart this year 8) -  have now seperated them, as they grew to over head height then leaned together, making picking awkward (and painfull !) ::) -  with hindsight, I would suggest 5-6 foot gap  :o

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 07:56:35 »
I have just got an allotment where there are lots of established raspberry plants. they look as though they need cutting back. What is the right thing to do and how should I tackle it?? ???

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 07:59:31 »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 09:13:15 »
Are they in organised rows, or in a mass? Is there any sign of fruit, and if so, is it the proper size? if it's just a chaotic mass, I'd be inclined to chop them back to a few inches, dig them up, and replant, with a thick organic mulch to feed them and keep the weeds down. That might mean sacrificing next year's crop, but would be worth it in the long run. The danger is that they might have virus, in which case they won't fruit, and you need to dig them out and replace them.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 12:34:17 »
Hi Robert. they seem to be in organised rows. the allotment was very well organised and kept up to when I took it over, so I presume the plants will be in good order. There are a few fruits remaining on the plants and look full sized and healthy. sadly the man who had the allotment has terminal cancer which was only just discovered a few weeks ago. He was 80 but kept the allotment in a great condition. Poor guy, it is up to me to keep it going.

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
    • Random allotment pictures
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 09:23:14 »
Good luck with that.

I inherited rasberries too - I think they're my favourite thing on the whole plot...

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 11:22:31 »
found 4 late ones yesterday, taste sweeter somehow when there's not much chance of more  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal