Author Topic: Polytunnel heater - advice please  (Read 2949 times)

plot76

• Not So New ...
    • Plot 76 Camden Allotments
Polytunnel heater - advice please
« on: November 16, 2006, 14:24:15 »
I have two small poltyunnels, you can see them here http://plot76.info/poly.html

Does any one have any advice on what type of parafin heater I can use, or I am mad to think that I can?

Thanks

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
Re: Polytunnel heater - advice please
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 12:48:22 »
The Parasene heaters are quite good. Your poly-tunnels look to be 1 metre X 3 metres so I would suggest a twin burner model (you can always keep the wicks low if its too hot). Pity you're not near me as I have two spare ones now that I've gone over to a thermostatic fan heaters.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

plot76

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 18:45:50 »
Thanks for the tip, my local garden store has twin burners for about £15, I only want to heat one tunnel (they are 3.5m by 2m not a bad guess from looking at a photo!!)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 19:25:37 »
What are you going to grow in them?

plot76

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 13:28:18 »
The tunnel I wish to heat will have chili peppers(several varieties) planted in the ground and then racks with seeds, the other tunnel I don't intend to heat, so I guess I just need enough heat to germinate seeds.

Larkshall

• Hectare
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 20:07:48 »
I note that your polytunnels are remote from your house. This being the case an electric propagator in out, but it may be possible to fix up a propagator by having a sheet of aluminium or galvanised steel fixed up with say, a couple of hurricane lamps underneath with a layer of sand on top (to spread the heat) and normal unheated propagators on the sand. As my Stewart electric propagator is only 20w and takes 2 standard seed trays, it should be possible to make the propagator bench on the basis of 4 standard seed trays per hurricane lamp. It should do the job and be pretty economical.

Larkshall

• Hectare
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 20:06:07 »
I carried out an experiment today. Checked the temperature of the Stewart propagator, result 25C. Made up a propagator with a galvanised butchers tray with about 1" of sand in it, standing on twelve bricks (slightly higher than the hurricane lamp), temperature 20C. I've put two trays of cuttings in it.

Larkshall

• Hectare
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 09:15:43 »
Update on the hurricane lamp propagator.

It is still working well, maintaining a temperature of 60F (16C). Paraffin consumption is moderate. Using a Chalwyn Tropic lantern I refill night and morning, there is oil remaining when refilled. Cost for paraffin is around 50p a day, this is more expensive than electricity for the Stewart electric propagator.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal