Author Topic: Looking for Prunus mume (Japanese apricot) for fruits  (Read 9015 times)

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
Looking for Prunus mume (Japanese apricot) for fruits
« on: November 21, 2006, 19:30:37 »
Hi all.

I'm looking for Prunus mume trees that are good for fruit production. I know there are a few varieties of Prunus mume available in UK but I understand they are ornamental varieties (maybe some bear fruits?).

Are there any nurseries who have fruiting varieties? Any information would be appreciated!

« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 19:35:38 by Tora »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Looking for Prunus mume (Japanese apricot) for fruits
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 23:26:41 »
I've not seen them and I tend to look out for odd stuff....
 ???

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 09:44:01 »
Thanks saddad. I imagine it is hard to find them in this country. I don't think the fruits can be popular in UK, as the fruits are too sour to eat fresh.
In Japan the fruits are commonly pickled with red perilla and salt, which is the Umeboshi often sold at health shops. I want to make Umeboshi myself because they are so expensive to buy here. You can also make Ume-shyu, which is a kind of liquer with mume fruits.

I know there are varieties for flower such as Benichidori and Omoinomama but I'm not sure if they produce fruits... Does anybody have these varieties?

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 13:45:51 »
I've been hunting a decently-priced Beni-chi-doro for about a year now, I am told they do bear fruit here. They are *such* pretty flowers in spring, just at the same time as the snowdrops are out.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 17:14:25 »
If they blossom that early, they may not fruit very reliably, due to the likelihood of frost at that time. How frost resistant are they?

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 08:31:56 »
Yes, their flowers are so pretty. I love the scent of Prunus mume flowers. They are the best kind of flowering tree in my opinion. They should be grown more widely. Such pretty, scented flowers in early spring is precious!
If Benichidori bear fruit then I will try to get one. I found T&M used to sell it but not anymore...
If you find any good supplier of Prunus mume please let me know. :)

Robert, I'm sure they are frost hardy. In Japan they start flowering in February, which is one of the coldest months in Japan. They often flower in the midst of heavy snow.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 09:42:30 »
http://www.ornamental-trees.co.uk/popuptemplate.php?cart_qty1[0]=0&update1=1&v=0&id=580

Looks a beautiful plant, strange how some places sell them online but dont post trees. Perhaps your local garden centre can order one in for you ? just an idea.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 10:22:18 »
I looked up the RHS Plant Finder site and found there are several nurseries that sell Prunus mume. I was told by a nursery that Benichidori only rarely fruits... :(

I was learning some facts about Prunus mume and learned that there are several strains of Prunus mume and flowering type is no good for fruits.

Thought I could bring a tree (fruiting type) back from Japan when I go there but found that DEFRA forbids a tree from non EU countries. :(

natasha

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 10:38:45 »
Hi Tora,
It's a shame, may be you can get a little tiny twig of this tree and graft it over here?

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 10:53:36 »
DEFRA forbids a tree from non EU countries

That says it all,  >:(
how did the explores of years ago bring so many beautiful plants and trees back to this country from all over the world.  ;)
To be planted in large gardens or greenhouses like  Kew etc? :)
Oh yes forgot before we joined EU :P

natasha

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 11:21:19 »
What about people who don't know about the regulations?

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 01:32:47 »
You can get them for £5 each from:
http://www.korewildfruitnursery.co.uk/
The plants i've had from them have always  been quite young so it can take a couple of years before they fruit but they do stock a lot of hard to find stuff.
They say are sold out of Prunus Mume for this year but it is probably worth emailing them so they can let you know when there back in.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 10:33:31 »
Thank you, Baccy Man! :-*
I've just visited the site and am really excited about it! They have so many attractive plants. I'm going to contact them now. ;D I'm sure I will end up buying more than just a plant... ::)

Natasha, thanks for your reply. I'd thought I could bring a twig from Japan to UK but unfortunately even a twig seems forbidden.
Here is the info from Defra (pdf file) http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/illegali/pdf/illegalplants-lft.pdf

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal