Author Topic: Nuthatch  (Read 1934 times)

bombus

• Quarter Acre
Nuthatch
« on: November 18, 2006, 07:37:32 »
We now have a Nuthatch coming to the feed station, it's the first we've seen in the 12 years or so we've been here, big cheeesy grin ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: Nuthatch
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 07:44:56 »
Any chance of a sneaky picci?
Smile, it confuses people.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 13:47:47 »
Oh lucky you, would love to have a Nuthatch visit.  Its only in recent years they moved into my area and successfully breeding, so hopefully before I leave for Bird Watchers paradise I will have a Nuthatch visit me.  I do have a pic of one taken in N.Wales this summer while we were on holiday.

;D ;D ;D

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 22:44:31 »
Hi folks
Hope this doesn't sound like gloating. I assure you it is not. I just feel very lucky to be able to watch them. They are not frightened and it is possible to stand about 6' away and observe them. If I am too close they 'scold' me with their characteristic call.
About 20 yards from my window is an oak tree. There were often nuthatches walking over the bark looking for things to eat. I put up a birdbox for bluetits two years ago. It was visited by the Nuthatches but they couldn't get through the hole. I enlarged it and immediately they took up residence reducing the size of the hole and sealing up gaps with mud,  and reared three chicks. They didn't use it this year but I am hoping they might use it again next year.
I push peanuts into the bark of an oak tree during the winter and nuthatches are very regular visitors.
Two nuthatches have been taking peanuts from a feeder in the garden nearly every day for the last two years. The feeder is about 6' from a window and I can sit outside about 4' from the feeder and they will happily visit.

bombus

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 07:38:06 »
Emaggie,I'd love to be able to post photo, but at the moment i don't have the means,sorry.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 08:56:43 »
Never mind bombus, enjoy the spectacle. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 13:56:07 »
Lucky you, here is my Welsh Nuthatch.

Don't know how its managed to reduce itself to this size..... ::) ::) ::)

bombus

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 16:24:19 »
Glad to hear from some like minded people,yes I do feel lucky to have Nuthatch visiting.  ;)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 18:21:33 »
Any Treecreepers?
 8)

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 00:03:55 »
Hi Saddad
Have to admit to treecreepers on the same tree as the Nuthatches. I was thinking of trying to fix a piece of bark to the tree to see if I could encourage them to nest, or maybe make a wedge shaped box for them..

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal