Author Topic: allotment site shops  (Read 8405 times)

purpledaisy

• Not So New ...
allotment site shops
« on: November 17, 2006, 15:07:29 »
I've just joined my allotment committee and am dismayed that they are seriously thinking about closing our site shop. It's been going for over 25 years apparently, but has hardly taken any cash for the past couple of years, and seems to be viewed as a bit of a liability now. Does anyone have any good advice for running / revamping allotment shops?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: allotment site shops
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 15:58:39 »
we haven't got one but the one we go to also stocks and sells everyone's excess plants, nuts 'n' stuff for birds,
sends out e mail magazines with crossword puzzles in, small prize for winner, some cash for funds
organises things like trips to flower shows, etc
organises things like flower arranging classes and stuff like that
all this as well as selling all the usual things, even old tools donated are sold off cheaply
hope you can keep it going, there are not that many around  :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 16:45:19 »
As well as the above, Our committee has an allotment plot 30yards from the shop. There is access to water for this site. The entrance is on the main road for the public and there is a gate at the rear if needed for use by staff coming from their own allotments. The site received a lottery grant and grant from the local council.

It is our own nursery from which we grow and sell loads of our own plants as well as stock from a large nursery. There is a pollytunnel, shed, paved path, gravel down both sides for plants to stand on. This is open to the public when the shop is open. The council have built a secure fence and solid gate.

Only problem would be that you need willing volunteers to maintain your stock and grow new stuff. The chairmans wife also does weekly flower arranging classes which raises a little cash from the students and products they sell. We also have an old gentleman who is a carpenter. He makes birdboxes, plantpots and allsorts which we also sell.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 18:17:36 »
We buy into our neighbours scheme.... could you affiliate with other sites to get more customer throughput?
 ???

purpledaisy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 18:49:59 »
Thank you - some great ideas!

I found out that 10-15 years ago our shop used to be open to the public as well as plot holders, but these days the entire site is surrounded by a 6ft fence and the only visits from the public are teenagers with fireworks - thankfully only rare visits!

I hope we can keep it going and I will look into ideas for activities to promote it. I'm hoping to tie it into ideas for bringing the plot holders together generally. I've been there for three years and still only know a handful of people, and it seems a shame that there isn't much social activity. I wonder if that's typical for allotment sites these days?

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 20:08:41 »
Our shop just shut for the winter (opens again in Jan apparently) but was just open on Sundays - and they sold excess veg and stuff to the public too.

Tina.

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 20:55:21 »
Our shop opens  for 1 hour on a saturday and Sunday. It was started again after a few years break by starting to sell the little stock that was left and we have had donations of various tools etc when people have died or given up their allotments. The problem may be getting people toman the shop, we have someone who mans ours every week except for a few weeks when he is away. Idearly you need to obtain stock at reasonably cheap prices so you can add a small amount on to make some profit and use this money to buy more stock. We are always keeping our eyes open for sale items to get a bargain. Unfortunately shops like Lidl and Wilkinsons selling at such low prices do not help things.Therefore the main bulk of pure income comes from membership, now £1.50 and those items donated.

Try and get a few dedicated people and spread the word.

Good Luck

LOL

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 20:59:56 »
our membership's 3.00 per year, 2.00 pensioners, they did leaflet campaigns, asking members to try to introduce someone new, they open to the general public as well and are open 2 hours sat, sun and weds night but only during summer, they only open sundays for 2 hours from sept to march..they do a really good job.. :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 21:01:18 »
Membership to use our shop is £1. Anybody wanting to make a purchase must become a member. All plot holders are members, and many members of the public too, as they dont buy unless they are members. Prices are too good for them not to pay! ;)

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 21:30:03 »
Our site shop is open on Sundays to everyone, no membership fee is involved.
It may sound obvious but sell your goods cheaper than they can be bought locally and sell stuff people want ;) For instance our shop does not sell seeds ?!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 08:37:01 by legendaryone »
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 21:47:15 »
our shop is the hub of the plot.  Run by very gregarious, positive organisers. It's also run as a non-profit organisation so has qualified for lottery funding and also means that we can get netting/fleece etc at incredably low prices. 

Excess seedlings are put in the "help your self" area, as are other bits & pieces no-one else wants or stuff that is generated by site maintenance (wood chippings & logs). 

It is a great boon and one of the reasons I swopped sites.  Do try to hang onto yours - and be prepared for many meetings (booze optional), getting to know everyone, working volunteers into a frenzy and a lot of hard work.

A great idea mentioned here is selling to the public - including excess produce.  Can't get better food milage than the plot down the road!

flytrapman

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 12:32:49 »
Hi Manic
Where is the shop you use as it sounds excellent, we have a small one on Leigh but nothing on Aspull

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2006, 16:54:55 »
Hi, it's off rob lane, newton le willows, if you need directions, will get ray to send details, i'd probably get you lost as I knoe how to get there but none of the roads apart from the east lancs  :)

Old Central

• Half Acre
  • One day we'll build some walls.
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 17:45:22 »
Hi

At our site we have a hut open Saturday and Sunday 10-12. Manning it requires two people and a lot of organisation.

Stock is bought in from wholesalers and resold to members (we have over 100).

We also join in the NSALG seed scheme and stock the shop as well.

Competiton with Wilko and Lidl exists but so does the need to supply our older or non car user members; the shop ro me is a must.

We are trying things to encourage people into the shop to increase takings.

OC

purpledaisy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2006, 18:33:04 »
The membership idea sounds good - especially at the cheap end of £1 or so. We're just collecting rents from plot holders at the moment though, so maybe an idea to introduce a bit down the line.

So, does anyone have any good tips for buying cheap stock to sell on? Particularly organic produce. The guy who has been running the shop for the best part of 25 years(!!!) gets peat-based compost etc cheaply, but struggles to find organic fertiliser / compost at affordable prices.

Also, the seed question, we don't sell any at the moment but is it possible to get packets on a sale or return basis does anyone know? I think the committee will resist buying in much new stock in case it doesn't shift.

Until now the shop has always been open on Sunday mornings, and last summer it was opened on other days when there were lots of plot holders around and people wanted things. The problem now is going to be enthusing people to keep it going and recruiting new volunteers, but I'm determined not to let it go without a fight!

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2006, 18:36:11 »
are you a member of the allotment association, can't remember the initials, nsalg, their magazine has some good deals on composts, organic fertilisers etc, trouble is, you do have to buy in quantity..good luck with it, ours is only open sunday for 2 hours in winter   :)

purpledaisy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 18:39:55 »
I'm not sure if we're members or not - I'll have to check with the older committee people. Thanks for the tip though - will check it out.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 19:02:52 »
Tip for selling cheap stock: We have sold some binbags of shredded paper for £1 per bag. Good livestock beds andsome mulch. Newspaper best but not essential for livestock bedding. Some places sell it at £2-3. But this is a little expensive if you want to gain custom.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal