Author Topic: Uncomposted leaves  (Read 1154 times)

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
Uncomposted leaves
« on: November 17, 2006, 02:52:40 »
Hi,
  I've read how composted leaves provide little in the way of nutrients to the soil but helps the structure more than anything... would it be unsuitable to put leaves once they've fallen onto the plot without composting first? Surely they'd break down fairly easily on their own on the ground? After all, by the following season you don't see them anymore. Thanks.  :)

plimsoll plot2

• Quarter Acre
  • Where my heart is
Re: Uncomposted leaves
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 06:02:25 »
i have just put leaves round the bottom of my fruit bush and bottle brush plant, which were just blown from trees and not composted, it looked quite goot as well.
were my heart is down at the plot

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 07:34:47 »
It doesn't really matter what stage they're at; just bear in mind that they take nitrogen from rthe environment as they decay, then put it back afterwards.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 08:04:09 »
Brilliant thread cc, it's much easier to work with nature, god made the leaves to fall etc. ::)
I use whole fresh leaves for 'full cover' - suppressing weeds on empty growing areas, between rows of established plants - or chop them up (with lawnmower) for mulching more delicate seedbeds or newly planted stuff, or if it's stalky or full of horse chestnut shells. Leaves are dark so they'll keep the soil warmer than light coloured mulch. At this time of year it's a FREE substitute for straw :)
Only prob is the leaves blowing away on a windy plot ;D

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 09:23:21 »
I've decided to leave the smaller leaves that have landed on the garden & let the worms do their thing ( & hopefully continue to increase).  I'm only  clearing the big ones and those that land on the alpine rockery so the alpines don't rot.

I need all the soil conditioning I can get & since I've been steadily turning in stableyard manure, I can tell I have a high nitrogen component as a by product.  The leaves might help to balance it out.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 10:00:52 »
we've done the same with leaves and grass, cut with a lawnmower and put on the beds  :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 19:03:26 »
HI CC I leave some of my leaves that naturally fall on the plot, but too many will take the nitrogen out of the ground as they take so long to break down, remember they take a year to break down in black bags or compost heap.But everyone have their own ways and different soils as froglets says it will properly benefit his soil.

May the corn be with you.
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal