Author Topic: aphids  (Read 1879 times)

rdak

aphids
« on: April 16, 2004, 17:35:18 »
anything that I value in my garden just gets covered in aphids- particularly roses; and they are now starting to cover my peas. I have tried spraying on diluted washing-up liquid but it doesn't seem to help. Can anyone suggest any organic solutions please?

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:aphids
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 09:17:19 »
I tried the washing up thing on my oestospermums that I've been overwintering in my kitchen - I sprayed once a week (quite liberally) for about three weeks. It did reduce numbers for a while, but now the plants look worse - loads of leaves have died. I think I'm going to have to take cuttings, remove all of the blighters from them and through the plants away.  :'(

I found some more aphids on my aquilegias yesterday - I used the finger squashing method (I don't want to use washing up liquid in the garden!)

Try planting some garlic around your rose. Or spray the rose with garlic water (kind of pongy for us too!)

Plant some nettles in a pot or bucket as that is suposed to encourage ladybirds in.

Plant things like fennel, cow parsley, etc as hoverflies like those types of flowers.

I'm trying all the above!
gone to pot :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal