Author Topic: 1st Timer as well  (Read 4249 times)

Leeds Lad

• Not So New ...
1st Timer as well
« on: November 14, 2006, 20:45:17 »
I’ve also taken delivery of a plot, 30m x 8m, which has been left for a year.  I was wondering if anyone could recommend a few books I could read over winter? ?  I intend to use raised beds to grow my stuff in and have already worked out a plan, I’m an engineer and have drawn the plot on my CAD system, sad eh?

Leeds Lad

pete10

• Half Acre
Re: 1st Timer as well
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 20:58:38 »

Welcome to You Leeds lad . There plenty of books in the shop on this site all look very good .

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 21:25:48 »
hi there both!

i was up at "my" new lottie looking at the waiting list today.  I am now 11th !!  wooo hoo.  Well compared to 16th where I was for ages, 11th doesn't sound so bad.

When I first got the bug at the beginning of this season, I bought The Allotment Handbook, The Half Hour Allotment and Practical Allotment Gardening all of which were good to dip in and out of.  I have learnt so much from the kind people on A4A though and I would say they were my first reference point.

Welcome aboard, and don't forget the pictures Leeds Lad.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 21:37:12 »
Hi to you all we have a few good books vegetable gardeners bible by edward c smith  gardening under plastic by bernard salt  but our bible for lotties is bob flowerdew used so much its in a poor state have to put a birthday order in for a new one...some people find him weird but it suits us, we like weird...good to here about the raised beds...we are also sad and planned our site out on computer first the link below will take you to our allotments only a small private site 8 half sized plots ...since the land owners built a new club house over 4 of our full sized plots & access road and squashed us into a corner  all the best with your plot  far easier with raised beds
http://www.parksidearlfc.co.uk/sports_and_community_club/
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 21:51:45 by manicscousers »

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 21:38:15 »
The book I always turn back to for advice is Grow Your Own Vegetables by Joy Larkcom. VERY comprehensive and HIGHLY recommended, no pictures though...
I also have The Allotment Book by Andi Clevely and The Great Vegetable Plot by Sarah Raven (lovely pictures).

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 21:40:26 »
hello and welcome leeds lad :)
I'd second dandelion's choice too
more suggestions here
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,91/topic,17979.0
happy growing! ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 22:18:08 »
Where to begin!!! Books are great, but this lot will tell you quicker than you can read it!
 ;D

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 23:30:19 »
Welcome Leeds lad.
 A book I have found useful is The Vegetable and Herb Expert by Dr D.G.Hessayon
It tells you about spacings, when to sow and plant, diseases and also how long each sort of seed can be stored for. It's really good as a quick reference book.

As everyone says though this site is wonderful and especially when you need answers to things that might not be in a book.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 23:34:18 »
The book I always turn back to for advice is Grow Your Own Vegetables by Joy Larkcom. VERY comprehensive and HIGHLY recommended, no pictures though...

spot on, me too

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 11:27:39 »
If you want something a bit different try:
Allotted Time: Twelve Months, Two Blokes, One Shed, No Idea

It's a good read and you pick up practical advice as you go along - also has appendices with quite a lot of factual info.

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,88888889/

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 19:31:13 »
:) Hi LL and welcome I would recommend   'ALLOTMENT GARDENING an organic guide for beginners by Susan Berger'  it is a godsend, its on amazon. co.uk  it only took about a week to arrive about £6 +pp  good luck hope you do better than your team. lol   ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 19:37:02 »
:) I would recommend   'ALLOTMENT GARDENING an organic guide for beginners by Susan Berger'  it is a godsend

I agree, it's my fave book that i've bought so far. The Veg & Herb Expert from Dr Hessayon is on my xmas list, as is the one by Joy Larkham - both highly recommended apparently.

Good luck with your new plot!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 21:09:35 »
The Allotment Handbook BY Caroline Foley. Excellent for beginners and novices. Step by step guide to everything you will need to know - pests, weeds, compost, vegetables and fruits, hints and tips, how to prepare and plan your plot. Plus tons of other stuff. Very easy reading. Good value at £12.99 ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 21:30:59 »
Hi Leeds Lad and welcome here!

One answer, one question:

A:  My most-used book for almost everything allotment related is the HDRA Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening (editor Pauline Pears). 

Q:  AutoCAD or SolidWorks?

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 22:30:52 »
Welcome Leeds Lad.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2006, 08:51:17 »
just sneaked a peak and Joy Larcom and Botanica are in my christmas stocking.

happy christmas me !!!

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 11:34:01 »
I'd add my vote for Dr Hessayon. I found Caroline Foley's Allotment handbook useful but as a complete beginner it didn't have as much basic info as Dr Hessayon on depth, spacing etc.
I really enjoyed "Allotted Time" as a good read.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2006, 14:50:36 »
I'm sure I'm not the only one who heard some recommendations on GQT just now.Thought the list might be on the website but it's not, however the favourite of both presenters was The Allotment Book by Andy Cleveley (might be spelt wrong). You can always lsiten again online or on Wednesday.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2006, 19:29:23 »
Hessayon is very informative, but also, I think, skewed. The books are altogether too keen to get everyone to use chemicals. It needs to be balanced by other books. I particularly like Bob Flowerdew's 'Organic Bible and 'No-Work Garden'.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2006, 21:08:41 »
I just got that no-work garden book - really glad I did! :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal