Author Topic: Wild violets  (Read 2798 times)

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
Wild violets
« on: November 13, 2006, 09:32:11 »
Does anyone know which is the least offensive weedkiller that gets rid of wild violets? I've been trying the organic method of digging them for weeks but they've had an incredible population explosion. Even the seedlings have very tough anchoring as the roots fork very quickly.

I've tried digging them out, but they're pretty much taking over my front garden and I spent hours with a miniature trowel (all of an inch across!) getting hundreds out the other week. That was the rock garden area. They're all over the shrub beds too, and I am now getting a bit desperate as I can't actually fit under the shrubs to get at them! That and if I dig where they are, I'll probably damage the snowdrops.

Leaving them's not an option. They're choking all my alpines and the double snowdrop area.

moonbells (hate to consider non-organic solutions, but these things are beyond a joke)

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
Re: Wild violets
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 13:03:42 »
you could try burning them out with one of those kitchen blow torch like gadgets - failing that I have a book of garden spells and you could cast one or two  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 17:02:48 »
It took me several years of digging them out...
 :-[

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 17:32:24 »
I used to think they were pretty... so left the first lot to appear to flower.
Next thing I knew <kaboom> violets everywhere.

bah!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 10:06:32 »
OH loves them so when hes not around this is when I thin them out otherwise they would take over they will smother other plants.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 17:30:42 »
I've got loads too but just keep digging them out when I see them. They seem to like dry ground and this makes them hard to get out. My main pest of a weed are welsh poppies. I rue the day that I got my first one. I like the flower its just that they take over.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 13:38:49 »
I've got loads too but just keep digging them out when I see them. They seem to like dry ground and this makes them hard to get out. My main pest of a weed are welsh poppies. I rue the day that I got my first one. I like the flower its just that they take over.

I've got those too...  you on chalk by any chance? Mine are a mix of yellow and orange.

moonbells

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 15:23:40 »
I don't think so, I even found one on the allotment the other day. Must have got carried up on our boots cos there aren't any up there.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 14:26:46 »
Oh my Goodness! I LOVE wild violets  ;D

If anyone has any spare seeds or plants they've dug out can you PLEASE send them to me???? I'll refund postage and packing etc.

Please PM me if you have  :)

I'm not bothered about them spreading etc. My front garden is just trees and bushes - I'm not very good with flowers  ;D

Thanks in advance.

Trixie XXX
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 00:22:30 »
Heavens Trixiebelle, you do NOT know what you're asking!

You can have some of mine - they're just bog standard wild ones, not the fragrant ones. Should be able to get some dug up next week - weather tomorrow is vile and we're off to a Christening anyway - and if I don't remember, nudge me...

moonbells

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 13:46:00 »
Ooooh thank you Moonbells  ;D I'd love some .. Teresa has already offered me some (thanks again Teresa) but the more the merrier  ;D

My front garden is full of trees, but flowers don't last long because I have a rabbit nicknamed Houdini coz she escapes and eats everything in sight  ::)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal