Author Topic: passionflower what to do with them ?  (Read 4760 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: passionflower what to do with them ?
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2006, 17:02:33 »
I find the Passion Flower puts up runners from the roots all over the Patio...
 :o

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2006, 17:04:58 »
I'm a passionflower know-nothing - I bought one from Morrisons earlier this year and have it in a pot in the garden.  Got some lovely flowers from it but was wondering what I should do with it over winter.  When you guys are saying they are hardy, does that mean they can live outdoors?  Mine is in a sheltered, south-west facing position.  Can't remember it's name, but it looks like this...

[/img]

Also, found this on wikipedia - "Passion" does not refer to love, but to the Passion of Christ on the cross. In the 15th and 16th centuries, Spanish Christian missionaries discovered this flower and adopted its unique physical structures as symbols of Crucifixion. For example: the 72 radial filaments (or corona) represent the Crown of Thorns. The ten petals and sepals represent the ten faithful apostles. The top 3 stigma represent the 3 nails and the lower 5 anthers represent the 5 wounds. The flower has been given names related to this symbolism throughout Europe since that time. In Spain, it is known as Espina de Cristo (Christ's Thorn). In Germany it was once known as Muttergottes-Schuzchen (Mother-of-God's Star)."

:)
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2006, 19:53:03 »
hey sally. i bought one from morrisons too lol. this summer it's grown from about a foot high to about 8 feet high.

Yes they are very hardy outdoors. I've got 2 of mine planted in the middle of the garden on an arch...it's not very sheltered at all.

Just be carefully not to let it get waterlogged....try and lift the pot off the ground if you could. other than that i'd just put a bit of mulch on it's crown and it'll be perfectly fine.

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2006, 10:30:01 »
Great - thanks!  Also, it's in a pot which I think might be too small.  I repotted it when I got it cos that pot WAS tiny!  Anyway, is a bad idea to repot it now?  SHould I wait til spring?
 :)
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal