Author Topic: Private non Council Allotments  (Read 1850 times)

boldielocks

• Quarter Acre
Private non Council Allotments
« on: November 10, 2006, 14:29:27 »
Does anyone know of any, none in my arae.
Who needs a mini digger - when you got hands like shovels and arms like steam pistons. ;)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
Re: Private non Council Allotments
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 14:56:53 »
Dunno about your part of the world, but up here, a number are run by the local parish councils.  In that sense, they are run like small independant sites and are not listed on the "big" council lists.  they are individually administered and allocated.

For ours, we had to apply for a grant each year for funding from the parish council as a community amenity project.  This was used to pay the landowner ( British Rail leased the land to the parish) a pepper corn rent and to pay the water bill for the site.  everything else ( not much, only 20 plots) we organised ourselves.

Not sure that's what you meant.  The other options I can think of are those run by some kind of charitable scheme or commercial letting, which would be costly.  Even our small space cost plenty to run each year and we didn't have to pick up any kind of public liability insurance etc.

We were almost closed down once because a member of the public who drove past our allotments made a formal complaint that the hedges were too high & causing a nuisance.  The parish council had to 'sort it' within a small number of days & as they had lost track of who the reps were, paid a commercial company £400 to do it.  The ructions that ensued took ages to sort out.

In Cheshire, the high cost of land makes it difficult to get new sites started.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 15:06:58 by froglets »
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

boldielocks

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 15:22:00 »
Having just aquired an allotment, I found out the council are spliting 9 rod plots down to 4 and half rods. I would of loved a 9 rod. It took me 2 years to get it. My mate wants one but a 2 year plus waiting list and maybe 5 year waiting for one nearer our town, quicker to find a field and start one maybe.

We have been talking about starting a private allotment association, we think it is a good idea, first problem being is finding a suitable field. Then we need to raise cash to buy the field. Then we got to manage it which wont be a problem to us.

Thats what I was getting at.

Who needs a mini digger - when you got hands like shovels and arms like steam pistons. ;)

flytrapman

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 10:48:47 »
I have 2 plots on a site that is owned by our local church, they leave us to it and anything is allowed, the rent is cheap as well (£5)
You could try contacting the local churches as they seem to own a lot of land

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 14:23:15 »
There are several private sites in Derby, ours (Littleover Lane Allotments) are actually a private limited company... we actually own our site!
 8)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal