Author Topic: Opening web pages  (Read 1309 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Opening web pages
« on: November 10, 2006, 06:55:11 »
My daughter has a problem opening some pages on some sites. These are 'safe' sites. She doesn't have a problem when she uses other computers, just with her own. Could this be a cookie problem, a cache size problem or maybe her security settings?
I'm not close by so can't visit to try it out. It does seem like her computer problem and not the sites she visits.
Any ideas I can pass on to her?

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
Re: Opening web pages
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 07:26:19 »
A problem in what way KK
do they not open at all or lack functionality?

I would try the following

attempt to view the sites in more than one browser eg IE and FF to determine if it is a browser issue. especially if using AOL .

If that doesnt give a clue try the following and test the web sites between each change

Disable any Internet protection programs
Very temporarily disable any firewall
Reset the browsers defaults
look in IE tools security and trusted sites - restricted sites and make any changes needed (do the same in any other browsers)
Delete all cookies and temp internet files (Tools/internet options)

let us know

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 07:57:54 »
After an hour on the Internation phone (thank goodness for Skype) with my daughter and tweaking this and that, between the the 3 of us we seem to have her sorted. Many thanks Glow.
Maybe you have an answer to another problem that's bugging her. On the desktop under each program icon, she tells me all the words are in gray boxes. It sounds to me she might be running in safe mode but she says she's not. Any idea how to return that to 'normal?'

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 17:53:24 »
Darn. Thought I'd fixed it by having her rename the icon....can't think what's next to try. Any suggestions out there?

Managed it. Well mostly! It will do.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 07:46:30 by kenkew »

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 18:41:50 »
It sounds to me she might be running in safe mode but she says she's not. Any idea how to return that to 'normal?'

Sounds like  she's tweaked the display settings

try
start / ctrl panel / display / theme and set it back to windows xp - its probably set to modified
after doing this all should be as default/delivered settings.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal