Author Topic: Bad back - tools  (Read 10561 times)

DavidW

• Quarter Acre
Bad back - tools
« on: November 08, 2006, 18:42:53 »
Hi, I'm just recovering from a bad back, and wonder if there are any shops out there that sell garden spades / folks with longer handles, which help a little when you are trying  not to bend to much

Thanks
David

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Bad back - tools
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 18:48:57 »
Hi David, ideas for non-bendy gardening ...

Broadfork

Long handled dibber

Compost heap (will become raised bed)

Rocking stool - the squatter's friend ;)

if you search for 'parsnip planter' on this site, MikeB and Curry had examples of home made long handled dibbers

I find mulching heavily means no digging and very little weeding too :)

« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 18:52:58 by supersprout »

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 18:59:04 »
wow where did you find the Rocking stool i have a bad back and athritus in the knee and i cant kneel to dig out the spuds so i was wondering if this would work?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 19:02:14 »
certainly C7, although not the prettiest piece of kit, it's been a boon to me this season - some peeps stop by the plot and ask if I'm milking the beans >:(
http://www.queenswood.co.uk/acatalog/index2.html?http%3A//www.queenswood.co.uk/acatalog/Queenswood_Online_Garden_Essentials.html&CatalogBody
scroll down to find it
cor! it's six quid cheaper than when I bought it! :o :-\
Bargain! ;D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 19:05:38 by supersprout »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 19:48:18 »
we've gone down the no dig method,as ray's back is very bad, how did you get the straw there or is it just bending  :)

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 20:24:45 »
I've just ordered an azada based on a recommendation here - and there are some comments about it being easier on the back. http://www.get-digging.co.uk/testimonials.htm

Should arrive in a few days. :) While the main reason was to get out my horrific bramble roots I also have a bad back and am hoping it'll be a bit kinder.

Tina.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 20:55:10 »
we've gone down the no dig method,as ray's back is very bad, how did you get the straw there or is it just bending  :)

pickup - the farmer pops it in the back of the van
unloading - mother's little helper
spreading - pick a still and preferably damp day, undo the string on the bale, pick up a slice of straw, and fluff it over the bed :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 20:57:12 »
we've got no road, the club built over it, everything at the moment has to be bagged and barrowed, everyone's complaining about back pain  :(

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 21:00:36 »
oh crikey ... how do you manage scousers! :o :'( >:(

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 21:07:48 »
we've one or two younger, under 40, people who will give us a lift with stuff, we just have to do as and when we can, no digging, apart from weeding, mulch everywhere and hope, when we get the new fence up, we can get some deliveries through the rugby field, when it's either frozen or in summer  :o

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 22:59:31 »
I also use an azada and Canterbury fork, having had a back injury. I found the fork particularly useful for digging out couch and bramble roots. I've taken longer to get used to the azada, it still has a fairly short handle, and I have to use it with a sideways chopping action not to get backache.

My OH has a brilliant long 'ergonomic' slightly bent shovel, which he got from B&Q, don't know if they still do them, but it's a joy to use (I keep nicking it off him :))
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 23:30:02 »
Being 6' tall my biggest gripe is the length of garden tools... we even ordered an extra long fork (Draper) as a special present and it is no longer than the standard wilko job!
 >:(

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 11:02:01 »
we've got no road, the club built over it, everything at the moment has to be bagged and barrowed, everyone's complaining about back pain  :(

It might be worth clubbing together for a four wheeled trailer with fattish tyres. Easier on the back to pull than to barrow?

(Used to have one back on the farm for the mini-tractor. Became quite experienced at pulling as the mini-tractor was always breaking down >:()

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 13:40:47 »
how did you know, one of the members has just brought one on that his works had spare, will make it a lot easier to move everything  :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2006, 18:13:06 »
 :P Scousers, can't believe a stray rocket never headed the clubhouses way on guy Fawkes night or a bonfire was lit too close to the clubhouse, that would have been real unfortunate.    ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

DavidW

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2006, 16:33:28 »
Hi, received the 2 azada's i ordered from get-digging, tried them out today and they seem to help a lot with my back. I have another two items I'm going to try out in 2007.
1. I've got raised beds on the allotment, and I'm going to use each one alternatively as my compost heap, so that i do not need to shovel from one place to another.
2. I've tried to purchase a terrex auto spade, but found them very expensive. So I'm going to try and make some form of hinged foot i can bolt to my shovel, has anyone done a similar thing?

Thanks
David

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2006, 22:16:44 »
I'm going to try and make some form of hinged foot i can bolt to my shovel

You have me intrigued, please explain further :o

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2006, 23:37:16 »
Not particularly long-handled, I know - same as a normal spade -  but I swear by my garden claw for turning over the earth a treat
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2006, 00:01:46 »
I've just ordered an azada based on a recommendation

Just checked what this is. I inherited one when I moved into my house 3 years ago but never knew exactly what it was. Used it a little down the allotment, which is where it now stays. Now I know more about it, it will get more wear and tear over the coming months.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

moonbeam

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2006, 07:45:24 »
I have a spade made by Wolf its a spring spade you just push it in pull back and it throws the soil forward my wife uses it a lot and finds it very easy as there is no bending at all.Dint know if they are still available picked mine up at a boot sale while visiting my sister down in Boston for £5 a great bargain.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal