Author Topic: Greater Spotted Woodpecker and other birds  (Read 1301 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Greater Spotted Woodpecker and other birds
« on: November 06, 2006, 17:25:41 »
Spent a very pleasant half hour this morning doing a bit of bird watching. Aside fromt he usual sparrows, crows, magpies etc, we also had visits from a robin, blue and great tits, and a chaffinch (havent seen one of those for ages).

But the best sighting of all was of the magnificent Greater Spotted Woodpecker. I had heard of one about in the area but hadnt actualy seen it. Didnt realise how big it was, as large as a blackbird ans just as attractive in its own way. It stayed around quite a bit, moving up and down the pine trees that back onto our estate, stopping occasionaly to peck at the bark looking for insects, and even stopping off at a bird feeder (not ours) for some peanut. i was amazed at how agile they are, at times clinging on upside down in a tree branch. I guess that makes them the avian equivalent of a squirrel. Only far more welcome!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Greater Spotted Woodpecker and other birds
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 17:52:10 »
What a coincidence- I happened to look out of my kitchen window this morning and saw, for the first time ever, a great spotted woodpecker on my peanut feeder! Sadly it disappeared very quickly, but it was a real treat to see something other than the usual sparrows, tits and blackbirds.

Toadspawn

• Acre
Re: Greater Spotted Woodpecker and other birds
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 22:41:56 »
The Greater Spotted Woodpecker reappeared yesterday on a peanut feeder in the garden, and was there again today. This after a break of several months. It will be a regular daily visitor now until next spring. This year one of the parents brought a juvenile along to the feeder. Unfortunately my camera is not good enough to get a decent close-up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal