Author Topic: Slow cooker  (Read 33885 times)

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
Re: Slow cooker
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2006, 19:55:54 »
my mother in law has been doing this for at least 20 years, the meat gives off so much natural juices of its own that it ends up in about an inch of juices/ fat.... is gorgeous honestly!

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2006, 20:33:52 »
The long slow cooking makes the meat so tender, it just melts in your mouth.  Honestly!  There is very little evaporation unlike in a normal oven so that the juices are still all in the pot and keep the meat moist.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2006, 09:16:47 »
Oh Goodness, I have wasted so many cheap joints of meat, cremating them in the oven!!! I will have a go in the slow cooker. thanks for that, will get it off the top of the fridge and give it a clean.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2006, 09:56:02 »
We use our slow cooker very often.  You can indeed slow roast in it - brisket and boned shoulder of lamb do particularly well.

We cooked oxtail last weekend (it's in the freezer right now and will be eaten next weekend).  The best recipe is the simplest, IMO.  Just put in onion and carrot, add the oxtail, boiling water, and black pepper, bay leaf, or whatever herbs you favour.  Cook until meat is coming off the bones.

Next day skim fat and remove bones.  Reheat for a delicious casserole, or use as the basis for oxtail soup.

We actually have 2 slow cookers, a large oval one and a small round one.  The large one is used for roasting larger joints of meat, or if we're making a big quantity to freeze.  Single meals are best done in the smaller one.

Two hints:
- Don't add salt before slow cooking, it toughens the meat.  You can always season it afterwards.
- Put vegetables, especially root veggies, on the bottom, with the meat on top.  Root veggies take longer to cook than the meat.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2006, 21:53:31 »
Can anyone help please? Daughter 1 has been given a 'Cordon Bleu' slow cooker. (2nd hand). The 3 cooking options are -auto, high and low. The model name is Automatic but it only has 1 rocker switch, so I don't understand what is automatic about it! Can't find any info at all, so I assume Cordon Bleu don't make them any more or don't exsist now.
Has anyone got any info please?
Smile, it confuses people.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2006, 23:14:14 »
oo ooo, I have one of those, but I have no idea where the instructions are, and as I got it YEARS ago when I first left home, I can't remember what auto was for.....I shall try and find the instructions.  I tend to use the low setting as the high setting will come to a very gentle simmer, which can be a little to fast a cook if you are going to leave it on all day.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2006, 08:33:45 »
Can anyone help please? Daughter 1 has been given a 'Cordon Bleu' slow cooker. (2nd hand). The 3 cooking options are -auto, high and low. The model name is Automatic but it only has 1 rocker switch, so I don't understand what is automatic about it! Can't find any info at all, so I assume Cordon Bleu don't make them any more or don't exsist now.
Has anyone got any info please?

Normally the "Auto" mode starts off on "High" and then, when it reaches boiling point, switches automatically to "Low". 

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2006, 18:19:45 »
Thanks EJ and M12, I did wonder if that's what it meant. Made some b'nut squash soup in it today to test it. Perfect result. Not quite so was  the chocolate sponge I made in my slo cooker at the same time. I just had to try it. It's ok but quite dense for a sponge, but I half expected it as it was cooked in a ban marie. Tasted like the choc sponge we had with pink sauce at school. :(
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 18:21:28 by Emagggie »

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2006, 20:07:22 »
like choc sponge we had with pink sauce at school. :(

glory be maggie that took me back with a jolt! :o

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2006, 20:21:37 »
Hey Sarah, BW has just had a slice and deemed it VERY GOOD!! his treat of the week, being diabetic. (I'd rather have had a bag of Allsorts ;D)
Did you get Gypsy tart too?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2006, 22:04:25 »
Glad you're converting BW to Joy of School Dinners ;)
Gypsy tart, oh yeah! ;D I so used to look forward to school dinners :-[ ::)
Plum cobbler, banana custard, pears in chocolate sauce, treacle tart, bread pudding ... never got those at home :P
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 22:06:06 by supersprout »

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2006, 12:19:13 »
uummm - school dinner puddings. At juniors my favourite was a thing called "chocolate concrete" with coco custard..... was chocolate shortbread I guess - was fab  ;D

pink custard was good too, though not sure Jamie Oliver would approve  ::)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2006, 16:12:09 »
fly pie and creamed macaroni, two I didn't like but chocolate sponge and custard , heaven, then as now  :D

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2006, 16:16:48 »
Manchester tart was my favourite.  We had green custard with chocolate sponge too, peppermint. Ummmm

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2006, 18:42:22 »
spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam fritters!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2006, 19:09:46 »
bring 'em on EJ!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2006, 19:40:25 »
Only just eating beetroot again now after being put off by those horrid squares that made everything pink and tasted foul...........and the smell of oil cloth, heaving now. :-X

iainrushin

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2010, 09:19:18 »
We had a custard skin rota at my school.  I was the Head and so was top of the list at the beginning of every term!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2010, 21:42:43 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D :-X

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2010, 22:41:41 »
Bought my slow cooker years ago from a car boot sale for one pound, perfect for sterilising soil, just add sand and perfect seed compost.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal