Author Topic: hi from sunny scotland yer right  (Read 3577 times)

rdm51

• Half Acre
hi from sunny scotland yer right
« on: July 09, 2006, 21:03:59 »
Hi All,
 Just like to say hello, MRS KP mentioned the site to me after i gave her a hint on celery, and have been hooked.
 I grew exhibition roses for 15 years until the wife got fed up with  fridge full of roses (she said she wouldnt have minded if their had been the chocolate kind) trying to hold them back for shows, plus the fire going full bung to open the slow ones.
 So to keep the marriage on an even keel i grew gladiolus for the next 7 years,
A move to the welsh valleys put pay to them,
 Moving back to Scotland i have been bitten by the bug again but to keep the household sweet i'm going to grow exhibition fuchsias.
 I dont have an allotment but back garden the size of one (i did have three before moving to Wales). the back garden will have a 8x6 greenhouse a 6x6 shade house and  8x10 polytunnel.
 So Busy this year getting the gound work done and will be hitting the shows next year, so anybody looking for tips on roses or glads please let me know  i grew them to national level and judged at local level.
 Fuchsias are going to be a learning curve for me so any tips would be more than welcome.
 thank you for being such a friendly site and hope i can help in my own little way  and the names Bob

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
Re: hi from sunny scotland yer right
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 20:25:30 »
hello bob,
welcome to the site, i'm in the east end of glasgow so i'm just down the road.
 if mrskp's pointed you to a4all you must be alright. or a wee bit mad. ;)  whats rdm 51 for? ...Robert sumfin sumfin

rdm51

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 21:12:40 »
Hi Weedbusta
       Wee bit mad is the right option, work in the same nuthouse as mrs kp  :-\  and yep  robert middle name and surname and age, couldnt think of anything else at the time   ??? glad to meet someone else from around these parts will look out for you when i'm online, and thanks for the welcome

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 22:45:10 »
Hi Bob. Welcome to the A4A site. Have fun. Oh so you know our Mrs KP do you? (ENOUGH SAID ;D ;D)
Lorna

veggie perin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 23:43:34 »
Hi Bob,
Welcome to the site, I don't get much chance to participate in  the site as much as i would like to, but hopefully i will post more in the winter when I'm not so busy.
When i heard you were taking up Fuchsias to give the family a rest I burst out laughing :D, bet the wife believes you  :D

I am just new this year to allotmenteering, as I had previously grown and exhibited Fuchsias as a hobby for the past 10 years and have now moved to the plot to give the wife a break from the hassle of showing :D

If I can be of any help to you, please feel free to contact me.

I am over the moon with my first season results, all though there is still a
long way to go, only got half plot , but the crop that I've had so far is amazing,
but still learning every day and hope to improve next year.

Good luck with the Fuchsias Bob, don't think you'll have many problems, if you already have 20yrs exhibiting under your belt.

ps ...I'm also from sunny Scotland

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 05:44:43 »
Hey weedbusta !! it was your celery Bob was giving me tips on !  I was too feert to ask you in case you thought I was a numpty after killing your cue !   ;)

and veggie, you the ayrshire bloke ???  bet you've got a nephew with red hair, used to live in south africa ?  am i right ?

if i'm wrong i'll look and feel a right berk !

Just one big happy family ain't we  ;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 08:17:46 »
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 14:40:28 »
Hiya Bob, pleased you're joining in........is that 'work' or 'reside' in the same nut-house as our Mrs.KP? Whatever, glad you're here now. You're safe amongst us ::) :P ;D

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 17:33:35 »
Hi Bob, welcome to the madhouse we all belong here for one reason or another, great bunch (Get it) ;D ;D here everyone is so helpfull and willing.  You have met the trouble makers Lishka, and Lorna, watch out for them  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D, sorry girls i have to warn the man.

Veggie Perrin is the expert on fuschias, on here he helped me a great deal, i am addicted to them, and veggie gave me some excellent tips you will not go wrong with his help. Don`t forget some photos when they are ready will you. ;D

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 19:44:34 »
Hiya Bob, pleased you're joining in........is that 'work' or 'reside' in the same nut-house as our Mrs.KP?

do you think i'd let "HEEM" on here ???? NO WAY!

he'd see what i got up to then  :P  things which the other men in my life feel are quite normal .......... talking about growing things of course !  what did you think i meant Lish ???

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 21:45:26 »
Lish. Have you seen what Mary is saying about us?? Can't understand her statement. I have spent/spending a very sheltered life ::) ::)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 22:50:27 »
sheltered accommodation is that,  Lorna?  :P

Was talking to a man here in Birmingham who grew and judged fuchsias. Got one named after his wife. Lovely flowers :)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 23:03:27 »
Lish.  I also love fuchsias. Charlie bought me a couple of nice ones just previous to his death. Happy wedding day and Dawn Star. HWD I have had lots of success with cuttings but just haven't had any luck with Dawn Star.. He was the one who did all the cuttings (from his wheelchair) I am not very good, hence lack of  Dawn Star.

rdm51

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 21:05:25 »
thanks all for the very warm welcome and i promise photos when i get myself sorted, still building bits and pieces and the wife happy as she can use the fridge all year round  ;D

plimsoll plot2

• Quarter Acre
  • Where my heart is
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006, 06:56:54 »
hi all

i have had my plot for 3 years now would never give it up. my plot is in hayes middlesex anyone else got one in this area.
were my heart is down at the plot

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 19:28:36 »
Hi I used to show fuchsia's about 8 years ago but they took over my life. I now have time to spend on other things like a lottie. It's an ok hobbie if you don't get carried away with it. The trouble with me was that I could never pass a cutting by. Serious growers will tell you that it is more or less a full time job. They are beautiful plants so no wonder folks become obsessed
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 23:44:37 »
Sheltered Life? Lorna... bus shelters air-raid shelters... need I go on?
I try to avoid the obsessive, except with edibles!
 ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2006, 09:55:54 »
saddad. Yep spent many, many hours in air raid shelters!!!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal