Author Topic: Chilli Peppers  (Read 2501 times)

boxingtortoise

• Not So New ...
  • Growing up a storm
Chilli Peppers
« on: April 16, 2004, 14:48:49 »
Got a few shoots coming thru for Cayenne Chilli Peppers. Does the soil up the allot they are being planted in need manuring? And when is it best to plant them out? And how is it best to store them when picked?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:Chilli Peppers
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 07:15:49 »
- 'chillies.net' may help on feeding. And they DO like to be sunny & warm - ie shelter.
Storing? We always freeze ours. Some folk dry them, some crumble them up, some put them in olive oil. Heed the warnings on the latter. Do put some in a bottle of sherry - better than Worcestershire!. = Tim

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 12:06:21 »
Just checked Tim's reference and I follow a  slightly different regime. I feed mine from emergence on, put down an organic fertiliser prior to planting (which will act as a slow release), plant into a plot that has carried a green manure overwinter and they get nothing after that. Manure will do both, provide nutrition and act as a moisture reservoir (which peppers do need to help set fruit). Peppers are sensitive to high salt levels so you might want to use compost and apply some fertiliser instead.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2004, 13:03:19 »
Not so much a recommendation, John, but a lead to quite a fun site. I have to grow mine in bags, & they just get a tom fert.= Tim

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004, 13:56:26 »
I grow mine in 8"-10" pots. Particularly the slow ripening ones such as 'Habanero'.

The other thing is I can take them indoors at the end of the season and pick them fresh as required.

Tim? I know this is not the forum for recipes but your sherry/chilli one intrigues me, can I have a bit more detail please........A

The Gardener

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2004, 19:18:28 »
Yes - of course - inside. If you have room!

Sherry? Maybe I exaggerated - but just chuck a handful into a bottle of sherry, mature & drizzle as necessary. Good in so many things - stir-fries, gravies, soups, cottage pie., when you run out of gin...........? But don't forget that colours fade in strong light Tim

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2004, 13:00:42 »
Hiya boxing, I'm growing cayenne for the first time this year too. (actually this is my first year for growing anything really :D )
My husband preserved some chillis we got in a big packet recently by stringing them on to some thread by the stems, and tying them on to the back of the kitchen door. They are still drying now, but seem to be doing what we want them to do.
Doing it this way because there's no room in our little freezer, and we don't fancy adding any extra oil to the diet.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2004, 16:11:05 »
- less dusty in a low oven? = Tim

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 12:43:48 »
I'm with Tim on the chili sherry.

Take one bottle sherry, insert as many chilis as you feel you can cope with; leave for a month. Use and keep topping up bottle with sherry til its gets not strong enough - then add more chilis. If only the rest of life ws so simple!!!

Good in winter soups - warms em up

On growing on the allotment - they needs lots of warmth to be succesful - a polytunnel is ideal

Phil

DarkSkies

• Not So New ...
  • Sunderland born n bred.  Sadly living in Surrey.
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 12:59:47 »
I'm with Tim on the chili sherry.

Take one bottle sherry, insert as many chilis as you feel you can cope with; leave for a month. Use and keep topping up bottle with sherry til its gets not strong enough - then add more chilis. If only the rest of life ws so simple!!!

Good in winter soups - warms em up

On growing on the allotment - they needs lots of warmth to be succesful - a polytunnel is ideal

Phil

Ohh, I might do that with my Tabasco chillis then.  Last time I did it some of the chillis seemed to start to rot in the liquid.  anyone had that problem?

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2004, 13:09:19 »
I should have said - use well dried chilis

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2004, 16:51:29 »
Phil we always use fresh small (think they are called birds eye) chillis. Got some sherry peppers in my cuboard that has been there about 3 years and is still ok :o! Works a treat with dark rum in a tomato based fish chowder!! DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal