Author Topic: Any printer experts out there?  (Read 4225 times)

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Any printer experts out there?
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2006, 23:11:03 »
Have you used the Epson since the Deskjet stopped printing? Is it a USB printer or does it use the same connection as the Deskjet? I ask because I have been baffled when my Deskjet 590C stopped printing before, only to find that the parallel port had been disabled ( randomly ) in BIOS.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2006, 23:22:28 »
 :'( BOO HOO :'( no, I'm still working myself up to uninstalling and reinstalling it, but I'm scared :'( ;D. Got Two new BL**DY ink pots init as well >:( ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2006, 23:33:37 »
Have you used the Epson since the Deskjet stopped printing? Is it a USB printer or does it use the same connection as the Deskjet? I ask because I have been baffled when my Deskjet 590C stopped printing before, only to find that the parallel port had been disabled ( randomly ) in BIOS.

Sorry djbrenton. I missed your post when I just replied above, ::) Yes I am still using the Epson and yes it is on a USB connection and now for the alien bit..what is parallel port and BIOS ???

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2006, 23:50:58 »
Ok you need to restart your computer. On mine, I have to hit Del as soon as the PC starts to enter BIOS setup. It depends on the mother board, it could be F5, F7 or F8 although they are more commonly for starting in Safe Mode. If you've never been into your BIOS before, you'll recognise it by menus at the top such as Main, Power, Advanced etc. On my Asus board, it's in Advanced/Onboard Device Configuration and Parallel Port should be enabled if you're using a non-USB printer. Don't forget to Save and Exit. The pareallel port is the large printer connection that non-USB printers use.

BIOS is the software that's built into your motherboard and tells your PC what to do before Windows is loaded.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 23:53:45 by djbrenton »

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2006, 00:02:03 »
djbrenton
Just out of interest, I know nothing about BIOS , if Roy uninstalls the printer restarts the computer and installs said printer will this sort out the BIOS.
The computer would think its a new printer? yes

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2006, 00:32:48 »
No, there are two aspects. Firstly the motherboard has to recognise the printer ( parallel port) as enabled. Second, Windows has to be able to use the printer. That's where installing drivers comes in. In theory, once your parallel port is enabled it stays enabled. In practice it can become disabled for no known reason. Under certain circumstances you BIOS can reset to default which includes the parallel port being disabled.

If all Roy does is reinstall the printer, then Windows will try to print but the motherboard won't allow a signal to the printer if the port is disabled.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 00:34:23 by djbrenton »

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2006, 00:43:46 »
Oh djbrenton so the motherboard can reset scary, fingers crossed I dont have that problem. But if I do I know who to ask.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2006, 09:41:58 »
This is way over my head and far too techy for me ::) ;D I may have a mess with it later, in the mean time thanks for the input. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal