Author Topic: After potatoes...  (Read 1642 times)

Tenuse

• Acre
After potatoes...
« on: April 16, 2004, 12:53:26 »
My potatoes went in at the weekend (I keep looking to see if they've grown yet, but no...).

I anticipate digging the earlies out in late June - mid July (I think).

What could I plant there afterwards? Is there anything I could grow in a pot, or sow late, that I can put into the patch after the potatoes are out, that will crop before frosts?

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
Re:After potatoes...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 13:07:07 »
try any of the winter brassicas - cabbage, winter sprouting broccolis, caulis, sprouts.. though you need to check pH and may need to adjust with lime.
I put some leeks after the first earlies last year, and I have only just finished them, rather yummy.
You could also look into sowing a green manure (rather than keeping it bare) - some even are suitable for overwintering. Buckwheat for example, although not suitable for overwintering, would grow very fast, choking out weeds and produce a lot of organic matter. After that, you could plant overwintering onions/broad beans...
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 13:09:40 »
I put my late maturing leeks in after the early spuds,but if that is not possible there is an enormous range of salad crops(chicories,endives etc) you could sow,spinach would be worth it-to be honest you are still spoilt for choice.

Stephan.

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 13:19:29 »
Winter brassicas should be fine. Grow them in a seed bed, and transplant them when the ground's free. Planted at the normal spacings of 18" or more, you can put turnips or swedes between them to lift at golfball size, too.
Sumer is a coming in....

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 13:40:13 »
Oh how exciting I shall get my packet of sprouts seed and purple sprouty brocolli out to see when they get sown.

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal