Author Topic: Seed use by dates  (Read 1945 times)

wolflike

• Not So New ...
  • My cat hiding
    • Wolflike
Seed use by dates
« on: April 16, 2004, 12:07:59 »
Have just found some Pea seeds in my shed dated use by 2000. Will these be any good for sowing or is it best to follow the dates on the packets. Never tried peas before so this will be a first. Also what is the best way to grow them, straight in the ground or in the greenhouse first.  ???
The best thing about growing your own is knowing that somebody didn't get chain ganged into picking it!

Blogging away at www.wolflike.co.uk

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:Seed use by dates
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 12:10:46 »
I had some peppers that were sow by April 2004. I sowed them April 2004 and they have just gone mouldy.  :(
gone to pot :D

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 12:30:49 »
I'd give them a go using (at the risk of sounding like a broken record) the pregermination technique to check for viability.
(put the seeds on quite damp kitchen paper, in a tub with a lid (eg margarine or ice cream container) put them warmish place and check daily.  Pot on as soon as a root is seen pushing out of the seed).

If they aren't doing anything within 10 days they probably won't and they will start rotting off, but I figure it's not much to lose if it doesn't work.
AC   :D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2004, 12:31:18 by allotment_chick »
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 12:34:19 »
The Expert Book has the likely lifetime of seeds and says 2 years for peas.

The life is varied by such things as temperasture and moisture - so you may be alrright.

Try putting 20 in a cerial bowl lined with kitchen paper soaked in water and covered with the wet paper. Place in a warm shaded place and keep moist - count the ones that sprout - if only 10 do then plant them double thickness or pro rata.

Phil

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 13:24:02 »
I think the critical bit may be "in my shed". MOST seed stays viable longer than the packet says, but ONLY if kept dry. On top of the wardrobe or somewhere like that, in a sealed tin / plastic box. The only thing that really isn't even worth trying, in my experience, is parsnip. Use the year you get it, otherwise bin it. I'd certainly try those peas, though.
Sumer is a coming in....

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2004, 13:27:37 »
Oops. Sent that before I meant to. Peas work well planted in a piece of platic guttering & started in the greenhouse until they get well started, then planted out by shoving the plants & compost out of the guttering into a suitably sized drill.
Sumer is a coming in....

wolflike

• Not So New ...
  • My cat hiding
    • Wolflike
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2004, 17:14:40 »
Thankyou all.
Will give them a go.
The best thing about growing your own is knowing that somebody didn't get chain ganged into picking it!

Blogging away at www.wolflike.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal