Author Topic: winter watch  (Read 6175 times)

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
Re: winter watch
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 14:53:22 »
I'm going to carry on laying down newspaper and cardboard on my new allotment

....I've done the same thing the other day! - can I pick your brains?   I am doing this to kill couch etc and plan to grow squashes etc through the mulch.  Question is - how thick does the paper /card need to be and what do you top it with !  I am getting horse poo to put on top of mine!

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2007, 18:38:16 »
As thick as you can... when any leaves make it through pull as much root as you can and slowly it looses the will to live!
 ;D

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 09:57:06 »
As thick as you can... when any leaves make it through pull as much root as you can and slowly it looses the will to live!
 ;D

Thanks for that - yesterday it was going through my mind - in dread - that I would have to dig it all out anyway.  I think i'll persevere with the mulching and can I just keep layering the card and mulch etc after the first crop? - presumably it gradually rots away and gets incorporated.  So more mulch untill it gives up must be the right idea!

Louise

PS: I find I can't go pass a source of cardboard now without thinking can I stop and get it in the car!! 

Grow yer bugger grow!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2007, 13:31:31 »
Quote: PS: I find I can't go pass a source of cardboard now without thinking can I stop and get it in the car!! 

Same here. Trudging round London shops with daughter and baby I was worrying her by looking longingly at VAST cardboard boxes, speculating about propping them on top of the pushchair.

If you google lasagna gardens, you'll fing you are doing what afficionados advise.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal