Author Topic: winter watch  (Read 6176 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
winter watch
« on: November 01, 2006, 20:03:30 »
I was wondering what happens on peoples sites over the winter months??

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: winter watch
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 20:17:21 »
Not a lot. A few of us plod on but an awful lot just disappear till the spring.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 21:43:23 »
Hi Cambourne, Hi all,  :)

The soil on my site is so well drained that unless its frozen hard all sorts of tidying and preparation can be done. I also like to do what I call "shed-work" if its cold which is really just pottering about or building stuff. This winter I hope to construct a "greenhouse" and covered storage area on each side of my shed on plot number 2 with a large amount of water collection and storage built in. I`d like to make a second bike trailer too.
There will be time for collecting leaves as long as possible and horse muck after that.

I will be on the site less but still most weekends and if I can`t get out I have a freezer full of fruit so I`ll stay home and make jam.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 09:08:26 »
I like to do as much as I can before the winter sets in.  This means preparing my beds as much as possible for the next season.  It is what we call putting the lottie to bed, and I do the same for our garden.  Sometimes we don't quite manage it because of the weather, but we have a bit of a check list.  Beds cleared and weeded where appropriate, Japanese onions put in, garlic put in, greenhouse cleared, and new allotment plan drawn up of what we are to grow for the next season and where it is to go, and seeds and plants ordered. After that I can forget about it  for a while and start concentrating on Christmas.  :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 17:53:49 »
As many of us live around the site we can be seen "nantling" most weekends unless it is totally frozen or seriously soggy. Not unknown to see people digging leeks or picking sprouts even on Christmas day!
 ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 18:18:52 »
Officially (per OH) replacing the present tangle of netting and bamboo with a proper fruit cage, then a gazebo for shade in the summer.

But having seen this runner bean support on one of the threads I am tempted to give it a try (afraid I can't remember whom to give the credit to, but it's a Rolls Royce piece of work)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 19:53:51 »
hi

...its just that our sites quite isolated. We have had 2 major break in this year and a couple of attempts.

I was just wondering if its worth trying to pull together some volunteers ?

I do like the framework!

cambourne7

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 20:20:05 »
We got rolled last night, ten sheds broken into and even the copper pipes nicked from the toilet block!
 >:(

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 20:53:13 »
thats why i think we need some volunteers

powerspade

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 08:02:17 »
I have some project lined up for the winter. Firstly I want to double up my compost capacity, then fix new gutters around my shed to catch more rain water. I need to sort out my paths and then make a large cold frame ready for the spring. Theres pruning of all my fruit bushes

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 09:55:26 »
I need to reclaim more ground from the weeds. Now I've got the central part of the plot sufficiently free of perennial weeds to stop digging it, it's getting a lot easier. I need a decent hedge-trimmer as well, and a mould to start making my own foundation for the bees, something I've been planning to do for years.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 19:29:54 »
Get some woodchip on the paths, guttering on shed with a waterbutt, bag up leaves in the park next door for my leaf mould next year and a general tidy up.

May the corn be with you.
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 20:32:50 »
My plot's new and I have about 25m of bramble that is my winter chopping exercise. :) And probably garner more ideas here and do things like paths, and once my shed is up in a few weeks I want to paint pretty pictures on it over the winter.

I was told yesterday not to lock my shed. They said that's the worst thing to do, the kids just go for the locked ones. Throw tools under bin bags or weeds and just keep old chairs, tea, seeds, etc in the shed.

Tina.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 20:40:00 »
been today, 2 more loads of leaves in the potato bed for next year, chopped up with grass from the bowling green, half rotted, I know, some people think we're strange but everyone has their own way of doing things   ::)

missy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2006, 05:50:08 »
hello Cambourne,

if you are hoping to get volunteers there are lots of ways you can get them on board. You could put the word out that you want some help, this is a good way and gets a good response. If you contact your local CVS, volunteer bureau or 'DO IT' website they could post your request for  volunteers.
British Trust for Conservation Volunteers may be able to help as they have teams of vols who can help.

Thing is they may want to stay longer than the winter if they get something out of it.

from missy

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 18:05:05 »
I'm going to carry on laying down newspaper and cardboard on my new allotment plus doing some digging whenever practical. And collecting leaves and spreading them on the soil. And adding leaves to the lengthening compost strip that is going to be a second lasagna garden.

And buying tomato grobags every now and then to lean on edges of dug areas to discourage grass spreading in.  These will have tomatoes etc in the summer, and will be placed in long line on top of more grass, to kill it. When it's dead and the tomatoes are over, out  come the contents to make another bed.

And keep raking empty spaces at old allotment until they are covered with leaves. Raked areas look encouraging.

And....and....anything I can think of to get outside in the light and fresh air and stave off SAD.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2006, 19:58:20 »
:) Got some horse muck, greased the fence next to the park, strimmed down the path must get some wood chip on it, collected 4 bags of leaves, tidied the shed and replaced some strawberry's.   ;D ;D ;D

May the corn be with you.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2006, 05:18:23 »
Repairing fence. Laying couple more paths. Got load of manure so spent 4hrs shovelling & barrowing it into lottie - partner in crime didnt turn up to help :(. Planted 2 apple trees, small bonfire, clear shed, trip to local tip, clean out tubs & trays from the greenhouse in preperation for next year, build 2 more raised bed frames, limed some soil, spread manure on other part of soil, feed hens twice daily and have a brew at the lottie shop each Sat & Sun morning when they are open. Phew! Oh - and not forgetting to go there and just sit on my decking, chilling out for some peace and quiet.

Thats my winter. Some done and some to do. Some jobs to keep you busy too I guess ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2006, 09:31:38 »
We won't be getting a winter at this rate. I've mulched half a dozen beds while there was still a bit of reasonably fresh grass cuttings I could use. The next job is to dig a few overgrown beds and enlarge the usable area a bit more.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2006, 13:20:05 »
 ;) ;) Collected more leaves today, spread some manure, gotta get that woodchip down on the path. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal