Author Topic: Feeling guilty, help!  (Read 1527 times)

southernsteve

• Quarter Acre
Feeling guilty, help!
« on: November 02, 2006, 19:58:22 »
Hi all

I have been digging away quite merrily the last couple of days and came across a newt and slow worm about half a spit down in the soil. Both were asleep, no doubt in hibernation, and both woke when I moved them out of the way so they didn't get chopped up by my fork. I moved the newt to my manure heap and the worm I buried elsewhere on the plot.

With the cold snap we are now having, I would hate to think these two creatures will now die because they woke up, but what else could I do? Where should I have put them, and bearing in mind I have found a number on the plot during the late summer, should I stop digging so as not disturb any more? I do want to get the plot clear for a good start in the spring but not at the expense of these lovely animals.

Steve
I'd rather be flying

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Feeling guilty, help!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 20:00:40 »
I cant imagine that you have caused them 2 much harm, its only just getting cold.

:-) You could always try building a mini wildlife tower for over wintering?

southernsteve

• Quarter Acre
Re: Feeling guilty, help!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 01:06:56 »

:-) You could always try building a mini wildlife tower for over wintering?

This sounds interesting, but how do you make one? Sorry but not heard of this before.

Kept digging today and found loads more newts and another slow worm. Also a large frog which I don't know how I missed with the fork. Some earth fell away from what looked like a large stone. Don't think he was too impressed with a gently prod on the back, but could have been worse.
I'd rather be flying

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal