Author Topic: Getting a polytunnel for xmas :-)))) - advice on which to choose?  (Read 10342 times)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
YAY i think i have hinted long enough to be getting a polytunnel for xmas.

Am looking at Northern Polytunnels (LBS group).

Not sure whether to go for the 8 x 10 ft super tunnel or the 10 x 10 version... do you think these will be big enough?

Also do you need to dig a trench all the way round or do you need to dig the whole base out too?

many thanks

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Getting a polytunnel for xmas :-)))) - advice on which to choose?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 16:16:18 »
we've got a polytunnel from northern, brilliant service, ours was 20', just extended it to 30', only need to dig a trench around the edges, sort out the beds when it's up ;)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 16:18:28 »
Brilliant - do you think i should get the floor matting?

I plan on taking over the plot next door for the polytunnel - I'll soon have a plotty empire just like SS.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 16:41:39 »

hi a few pics of our poly from northern polytunnels we found them an excellent company delivered on time sent plans etc we have never looked back...far better than our greenhouse...if you are planning on growing sweet corn in it they will grow to the roof and bend along the top to about 7' we were originally we were going to get a 10' tunnel but when went to see one at northan polys it seemed smaller than we thought......enjoy
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 16:49:49 by manicscousers »

rdm51

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 16:42:45 »
Hi OliveOi.
 I got a 10x10 from twowests, very good service, i have to dig my base out as laying a 5inch layer of gravel (only grow show fuchsia's)
 A handy piece of kit to extend the growing season, good luck with what ever you choose.
  Bob

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 16:43:03 »
Great photos - what width is that?

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 17:01:53 »
Hi ours is 30' we had a 20' and had to resite it we lost the skin so thought if we were going to buy a new skin we may as well extend to 30' northern sent out all the bits and even worked out how many nuts & bolts etc   with ours being longer we invested in crop bars help stabalise the tunnel can store long canes etc   we got an 8' wide tunnel the nurmal width is 10'  the space we had on our old site just wasn't wide enough for a 10' one.....it seems northern tunnels used to do 8' widths but were told not to do them anymore.....the sales person put the order in and got a telling off for it....the site we are on now would take a 10' wide tunnel and if it wasn't that we already had the frame we would definatly go for a 10' width....one of our other allotment friends bought one from them last october 10' wide and there is a lot of differance

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 16:38:39 »
Sounds like good fun ahead. I bought a thing called a `solar greenhouse` some years back,it`s got reinforced plastic. I sometimes wonder if the company has gone out of business as it has lasted too long for commercial sense ???

Oh a choose a very still day to `skin` it-even a gentle breeze seems like a gale once all that plastic is being put up.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 21:44:24 »
Hi Cleo I recieved solar tunnel prices today and fell off my chair - over £1000 for the cheapest smallest tunnel.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 13:07:49 »
Buy one as big as you think you want and double it, I am very pleased with mine.

I grew one small raised bed of strawberries in it this year, no problem with slugs and no bird worries, a bowl of strawberries every day for over a month from a raised bed about 4ft x 3ft. And that was just some very old plants that I moved in from the garden that never produced much. Going for some varieties that crop at different times next year.

Now I just have to make sure my wife doesnt plant every seed that we have got and all will be fine.

Mine was from www.firsttunnels.co.uk and I am very pleased with it. So long as your ground is level across the width and not too much slope on the length its easy to erect one. Mine is very strong and well braced. I made the doors myself and put small square black mesh to keep birds out, with two lift off, polythene covered removable panels per door to allow ventilation. They are very good at keeping moist I found. I went for the plain colour cover and it seems fine.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 13:38:51 »
just so you know, this year we grew
very first early potato, half the 2'6" bed,
chillies in pots and in the ground
sweet peppers in pots and in the ground
3 cucumber plans
5 melon plants
10 different tomato plants
2 melothrie cucumber plants
12 sweet corn plants
2 special passionflower plants, still in
loads and loads of mixed leaf lettuce and chinese leaves of every description, spring onions, large onions, basil, coriander, marigolds, lemongrass, ginger, sweet potatoes,
even now, we've still got chillies, cucumber, tomatoes, one poor basil plant, mixed leaf lettuce, chinese lettuce, pak choi and red mustard,
all this you've got to look forward to
oh, and I had a couple of mimulus over from the garden so I popped them in, gave a lovely splash of colour  :D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 23:23:01 »
I have an 8x10 from First Polytunnels up Burnley way... on my third cover in ten years (bonfires!). Need another one.
 8)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 16:39:06 »
I won a polytunnel in a magazine competition 11 years ago ...the only thing I've ever won!

It too was from First Tunnels, and still has its original cover on (albeit slightly tatty now, well mended)....what have you been doing to yours saddad!!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 17:08:37 »
One cover had been folded up to long and soon tore along the creases, but the others just got perforated by flying sparks from the big Nov 5th bonfire!
 :-[

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 17:34:30 »
I have just ordered a brochure
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2006, 00:03:01 »
Hi Cleo I recieved solar tunnel prices today and fell off my chair - over £1000 for the cheapest smallest tunnel.

It must be a different company?-if not I`ll sell it and mail back when we have moved with the profits. The one I have is just metal tubing and a re-enforced plastic skin

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2006, 00:08:20 »
Way out of my league.... would feel hard done by if I spent £500...
 ::)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2006, 12:17:50 »
ours from northern only cost us 380.00, that's 2 years ago so it may have gone up a bit since then but not that much, they have a web site  part of LBS

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 17:17:30 »
Well people xmas is looming and still no poly. Not been asked what i want despite a the many brochures i have had spent..... do men really have an initiative or am i hoping in vain? :o

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal