Author Topic: 3-4 tonnes of Manure etc  (Read 1955 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
3-4 tonnes of Manure etc
« on: October 29, 2006, 15:00:14 »
Ok so my 3-4 tonnes of manure arrived....it was supposed to be 2-3 tonnes....but he sid he loaded on everything he could. i'm not complaining....but it's just so much "nuts" to shift.
here's what it looks like so far...i've probably shifted about 10-12 wheelbarrow fulls so far so the garden...and there's still sooooo much left.

he's it filled into the raised beds

and another picture of that section filled in. it's about 4 inches worth all over....if there's any left obviously i'll pile some more on allover.

i went to car boot sale today...and for £10 i bought all these pits and seed trays...a fan greenhouse heater/cooler....a huge role of weed supressing membrane and a bottle of greenhouse cleaner/disinfectant.

and! omg.....lidls are doign incredible cheap bare root plants. you should all go there and spend spend spend! i bought these 5 bare root shrubs for 99p each. they were also doing trees for £3.99! about 6 feet tall with loads of buds on....or apples, pears....cherries. they also had small 99p plants of black/red currents....hibiscus....loads of different types or roses all 99p each.

and so i'll now be going back to shift some more manure into my garden. i don't need to dig it in right? i mean i've already placed a good 6 inches of topsoil on the beds before the manure.....i'm assuming the frost and worms will break it all down for me over winter right?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: 3-4 tonnes of Manure etc
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 16:02:55 »
that's the way we do it, lovely crops next year  :)

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 16:13:34 »
Enjoyed reading about your garden and shopping!

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 16:24:43 »
 ;D thanks peeps.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 18:18:14 »
Very envoius of your soil it looks great even before you beefed it up!

I went out on saturday to plant stuff and it was like quicksand! boggy clay! Drove up to get some compost today to try and dry the soil out a little and the wind was so bad i could not lift a full shovel of the stuff before it all mostly went away.
DOH

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 18:27:59 »
Very envoius of your soil it looks great even before you beefed it up!

I went out on saturday to plant stuff and it was like quicksand! boggy clay! Drove up to get some compost today to try and dry the soil out a little and the wind was so bad i could not lift a full shovel of the stuff before it all mostly went away.
DOH

honestly...mine is exactly the same! and because i have some very mature conifers for a hedge and a huge cherry tree, the soil is very dry in some part and very wet in others. and it's very very clayey. if it's rained then i can't dig anything without feeling like i'm lifting a tonne with every shovel.

the soil in my beds is top soil that i put in there...about 6 inches worth...and on top of that i've put on a few inches of manure.....that's the only reason i made the raised beds because of the bad soil.

it's cost me a lot....£150 to be price for all the 3 tonnes of top soil and the 4 tonnes of manure...and it's taken so much hard work to shift it all. most of the manure is still on the drive....because i don't have time...till tommorow to shift some more.

BUT the way i see it....i wo'nt have to do this for a good few years....or use any fertiliser on my plants in the bed. and water them less...and not have to provide as much mulch.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal