Author Topic: sun drying tomatoes  (Read 3690 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
sun drying tomatoes
« on: April 15, 2004, 14:12:37 »
I know I'm rather jumping the gun, but I'm asking while I think of it or I'll forget...

How do you sun dry tomatoes?

I made the most delicious (Mr Aqui agreed!) pasta sauce last night - mushroom, garlic and tomatoes, with the added extra of Maltese sun dried tomatoes.

Now I want to make my own (if that's possible under the English sun!)
gone to pot :D

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re:sun drying tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 14:39:09 »
 Hiya i have done this twice but its only MY own way you understand Aquilegia not some clever chefs version.........
I quartered my tomatoes took out most of the pips (up to you)......
layed them on greaseproof paper.......
covered them with one of those mesh covers and put them on the patio table in hot sun the whole day long.sometimes i had to put them out for another morning but it works for me and they are always nice... I put some in a jar of extra virgin olive oil...... ;D :D

My sister puts hers in the oven on the very lowest setting all night then puts them in extra virgin same as me to keep them.......

hope this helps but i expect someone will come up with something better cheers Rosebud

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 17:42:14 »
Hi Aqui, agree with Rosebud here.  Although never tried it myself, about three years ago, on a holiday in Provence, saw tomatoes being dried on trays outside on patio tables in a small village.  They were also drying all their own herbs in this way too!

All the locals seemed to be doing it.  Suppose you just need to know how hot the weather is going to be is all  :D :D :D

Makes me quite nostalgic!
Muddy Boots

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 18:50:59 »
Most interesting, I have done them in the oven but never tried them in the sun-will give that a go-thanks.

Stephan.

sandy bay

• I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 19:19:22 »
 :)it sounds fantastic idea, it's got me all interested in gardening again!

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 09:39:11 »
does this work for any variety of tomoato or does one variety work better than another?

"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 14:56:35 »
The method works for all CC but, obviously, personal taste comes into it.  Presumably, the sweeter the tomato, the sweeter the dried flavour.  Just use your favourite variety but nothing to stop you experimenting with others to see how they turn out!

Happy drying  :D
Muddy Boots

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal