Author Topic: Opening a garden shop  (Read 1151 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
Opening a garden shop
« on: October 24, 2006, 19:24:14 »
Hey,

I've been talking to my bf about this all year....but I'm thinking of opening a little store in my backyard to sell plants in. I say this because at so many point i've sown seeds and i always end up with a lot more than i need even if i've given some to friends and family. i mean you guys will always have a few plants from me cos you've all been so helpfull....but again...i should end up with so many plants next year.

I'm wondering what i need to consider legally and if any of you have done it before. I'm thinking I just keep all my plants in my greenhouse while the shops open in the winter and take people to it and let them select what they want....or in the summer put out a little stall in my back yard that i can take people to.

or to be uber anal....i could make a little catalogue on the computer with pictures to show people when they come round rather than having to look around loads of plants.

Artisan

• Not So New ...
Re: Opening a garden shop
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 19:39:05 »
Great idea Wahaj.  Have you thought about selling plants at a car boot sale, or maybe local farmers market?  I sold plants at a car boot a few years ago, and found that veg plants in particular sold realy well, things like caulis and broccoli, little bunches of about half a dozen simply wrapped in newspaper.  There's also ebay where you can sell plants and send them throught he post.  I think legally the taxman isn't too interested if you are selling just a few plants each year, so you should be ok untill you reach small nursery capacity!!  Good luck with the venture.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 19:44:27 »
Great idea Wahaj.  Have you thought about selling plants at a car boot sale, or maybe local farmers market?  I sold plants at a car boot a few years ago, and found that veg plants in particular sold realy well, things like caulis and broccoli, little bunches of about half a dozen simply wrapped in newspaper.  There's also ebay where you can sell plants and send them throught he post.  I think legally the taxman isn't too interested if you are selling just a few plants each year, so you should be ok untill you reach small nursery capacity!!  Good luck with the venture.

thanks for the reply :)

i mean i'm only doing it to get some experience and have some fun with it.....but i do intend to run it every weekend, especially in the summer. and yeah i'll probably try with the veggies aswell...i'm sure people will like that.

And i don't intend on making vast amounts of money with it....i'm planning on keeping them pretty cheap. i mean it cost next to nothing to raise plants from seeds or cuttings anyway. it's mostly the the time you put into it....but i spend so long doing it anyway...that i might aswell do this.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 20:36:06 »
we used to run a small business, if you're worried about the legalside, just make a note of Everything it costs, keep receipts, make a list of what you sell, work out the profit after everything you've paid out and I hope you make a fortune ! ;)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 21:52:07 »
you're a one aren't you love?  bit like me, ants in your pants.  as soon as you've managed one challenge, you're zooming off to the next.

good luck to you with your venture mate.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 23:10:21 »
you're a one aren't you love?  bit like me, ants in your pants.  as soon as you've managed one challenge, you're zooming off to the next.

good luck to you with your venture mate.

;D

well lol.....my bf and i have wanted to go into getting our own bussiness...but we're both really young and know nothing about it...so we thought we know a bit about plants and what sort of things people like and are looking for....and that anything not used can just go in our garden.

but yea baby steps i guess....haven't even built the greenhouse yet lol.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 23:11:55 »
we used to run a small business, if you're worried about the legalside, just make a note of Everything it costs, keep receipts, make a list of what you sell, work out the profit after everything you've paid out and I hope you make a fortune ! ;)

thanks. yea...i was just sitting here trying to think about costs and what not...so we'll definately keep it all logged so see how we're doign and whether it's worth it or not.

thanks for the advice :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal