Author Topic: Raining cats and snails!  (Read 1753 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Raining cats and snails!
« on: October 24, 2006, 00:24:18 »
Dont know about anyone else but I am FED UP with all this rain. its doing it now as i type this. I know we need it but its starting to get ridiculous now. Must we have it all at once?

I have go tots to do in the garden, but when the rain stops its still all soggy and horrible out there.  My soil isnt that heavy but it soon turns to mud if you walk on it or try to dig it too much. However with the jobs i have to do (planting out for next year) I cant really wait for it to dry out. I have to risk it.

I keep reading and being told autumn is the best time to plant because the soil is nicely 'warm and moist'. Warm it may be - as indicated by continued growth and flowering of mant plants in the garden - but 'moist' it most definetly aint! Sodden is more bl***y like it! Soil eh? If it aint wet its cold, if it aint cold its bone dry. Cant win. I blame Global Warming.

Like i say, just have to 'wing it' i guess. So no change there then!

Oh you might be wondering about the 'snails' bit in the topic title. Well this is simple. I am plagued with the little blighters. They must have had a realy good breeding session at the end of the summer, because it allmost as if its been raining snails instead of water. Move a pot, shift a compost bag lift a seed tray and guaranteed there will be a colony of them hiding away there. Of course once found they dont live long, but if what i have found so far is representative of the population, then there is a helluva lot more hiding away that I havent found yet. They lurk poised to come out and eat all my plants next spring! >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 00:26:13 by Garden Cadet »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Raining cats and snails!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 08:26:00 »
Keep stamping... you do knock the numbers back a recognisable amout...
 ::)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 08:30:21 »
the Allotment Fairy might be mistaking the Snail Stomp for the Rain Dance ... watch your step gc ::)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 09:16:00 »
the Allotment Fairy might be mistaking the Snail Stomp for the Rain Dance ... watch your step gc ::)

I like it! :-) ;-) :-) LOL

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 17:39:30 »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 18:06:09 »
I'm fed up too. I had too little rain ...none at all really...over summer. Now it won't stop and dry out long enough for my soil to dry a bit so i can work on it. Also my lawn is long again and needs mowing but because it now gets only a little sun on the far edge it's very wet. Can't win!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 09:13:35 »
I'm fed up too. I had too little rain ...none at all really...over summer. Now it won't stop and dry out long enough for my soil to dry a bit so i can work on it. Also my lawn is long again and needs mowing but because it now gets only a little sun on the far edge it's very wet. Can't win!

Yep, same here!

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 19:24:57 »
rain, rain, rain ... I wish it would stop too.  At least the leak in my roof has been fixed now, so its only raining outside. 

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 09:53:05 »
Rain? It gets worse than that. they are forecasting a risk of frost in places tonight! Then yes, more rain on saturday.  :o ??? ::) :P

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 14:30:58 »
 Its bound to rain on Friday and the weekend. Do you want to know why???
 Cause we've got three days off. :(

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 18:20:02 »
Its bound to rain on Friday and the weekend. Do you want to know why???
 Cause we've got three days off. :(

tell me about it!  I dont normaly go out on a saturday , but this week guess what? I have a long anticpated day out planned. Typical!

Still i think the forecast is for showers which isnt quite so bad so will still go.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal