Author Topic: Apple (pips)  (Read 2384 times)

Chaz Hunter

• Half Acre
  • Creator of my own little world...
Apple (pips)
« on: April 14, 2004, 19:52:06 »
About six weeks ago I planted 4 apple pips (Gala) in a 3" pot, purely for fun ;) I now have four plants which are about 3" high with 4 "true leaves".....if anyone has any experience of trying this please can you give me any advice as to what to do next, I don't want to risk disturbing them if its the wrong time etc.
ps, they are growing indoors at the moment :)

Wicker

• Hectare
Re:Apple (pips)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 19:56:46 »
Can't give any advice Chaz but 3 or 4  years ago one of my grandsons stuck a couple of pips of some unknown apple type in a pot and hey presto one grew.  It has been in the allotment now for over 2 years in a very big terracotta pot and is about 3 feet high, 4 branches and all new leaves again this year - it's only a baby of course and don't think there are any other apples around which could possibly fertilise it but it grows happily away.  
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Chaz Hunter

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 20:00:37 »
So I should be drawing my pension before I'm picking the apples then... ;D

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 20:05:36 »
Hope you'll still ahve your own teeth to bite into those lovely crispy fruits!!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 20:12:29 »
It is great fun to grow apple pips, but sadly I have to tell you that the most likely fruit from your tree would be 'spitters' ie one bite and spit it out. The genetic make up of the domesticated apple is so complex that any pip can be any of the tens of thousands of varieties, most of which are inedible.
When that chap went round America planting Apple trees from seed (Johnny Appleseed) what he was aiming for was Cider fruit. So while you may not get a crisp eater, you may well get something from which you can make cider. And by the time you do your Grandson will be old enough to drink it with you.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 20:17:50 by Palustris »
Gardening is the great leveller.

Chaz Hunter

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 20:15:43 »
remind me to give some to the mother-in-law ;)

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 20:56:54 »
Wasn't expecting apples Kept plant to humour him and now it's to humour me!!

Incidentally same thing happened years ago with a (commercial) tomato seed which for some reason got stuck in Bill's trouser belt and it went in beside a houseplant then a pot  and another - it grew to a full size plant eventually!

Chaz Hunter

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 21:11:45 »
rofl  I've got visions of a triffid-sized tomato plant being lashed to supports with a trouser belt ;D

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 21:23:54 »
Nice one Chaz, we gave it a name (predictably Tommy) and I have a picture of it somewhere with Bill beside it (probably trouser belt is in there somewhere too).  It never left the bedroom where it grew up so it had a lonely life I suppose  :(

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 22:03:36 »
Hi wicker,my oldest daughter sow one pip five years ago and now we have got a little appletree.Its 4 feet high and it is going to bloom for the first time.There are some appletrees in the neighbourhood so mayby we got the first apples of it.Than i can tell you if it is a stay or a no no.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal