Author Topic: who's munching our potato leaves?  (Read 1024 times)

thewoodle

• Quarter Acre
who's munching our potato leaves?
« on: October 23, 2006, 17:55:43 »
I have some potatoes growing in a large barrel in my garden. Some of the leaves are being eaten by these tiny white flies. What are they, and should I be doing something to get rid of them? Will they affect the potatoes?
It's probably a silly question, but we are very new to the whole allotment thing... well actually the whole growing-anything-thing (-but have found that we LOVE it, as do the kids -nearly two and four -we can get them to eat anything now, as long as it's been growing in our allotment).

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: who's munching our potato leaves?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 18:17:28 »
Nothing is 'silly'!

Don't know, but would have thought slugs more likely? White fly just make a mess.

Anyway - just knock them off with a good jet of water - + a drop of detergent if you wish.

See the posts on cabbage white fly.

PS - potatoes will take an awful lot of munching before they object!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 07:36:11 by tim »

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 23:54:57 »
Gonna make a post here.

As Tim says - no question is silly.  Growing things is important and fraught with many difficulties that until you cross them are completely unknown so ask away.  I agree with Tim - probably slugs or snails.

I grow things with my kids.  My 5yo is especially keen and quickly turning into and expert.  Tis the best way to get them into healthy eating and living.  Keep it up.  If you want advice, there is this site, and plenty like it.  Ask away, no need to ever think a question is silly because we have all asked them.  The learning curve is steep but it is amazing how quickly you get up it. :)

Going again  :)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 03:15:21 »
have found that we LOVE it, as do the kids -nearly two and four -we can get them to eat anything now, as long as it's been growing in our allotment

Result!

As tim says - wash if you wish - some of us don't mind a bit of chomping by the wildlife that shares the planet, unless it's going to kill the plant ::)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 03:16:57 by supersprout »

thewoodle

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 19:38:20 »
Thanks so much for all the replies! I don't think it's slugs, it doesn't look like it. And I've never been able to find any all the way up the plastic barrel. But at one point I had a big compost bin (empty, just delivered) next to them for a few days and when I moved it, a gazillion little white flies were disturbed and that's when all the little holes had appeared as well, and now there's always a few around there. -Flies I mean.
I don't have a hose and if they don't destroy the actual tubers, I think I'll just leave it. I'll have a look at the cabbage white fly posts.

Thanks again everyone who replied!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal