Author Topic: Crocus/snowdrop  (Read 2010 times)

garyp

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Crocus/snowdrop
« on: April 13, 2004, 20:39:08 »
I planted some snowdrops/crocus's in containers for over the winter. Now they have finished flowering all that is left above ground are the leaves/stems. I would like to use the containers for other plants. Can I lift those bulbs and store them, then replant in the Autumn?

Cheers for now

Palustris

• Hectare
Re:Crocus/snowdrop
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 20:45:18 »
Sorry, not the Snowdrops. They are what is called 'naked' bulbs. Unlike say Daffodils or Tulips Snopwdrops do not have a coat to preserve moisture when out of the ground. They slowly dehydrate and perish. Best thing to do with them would be to find a quiet shady corner of your plot and plant them out in the soil, now. Ditto the crocus, but once the leaves and stems of them have withered, you could dig them up and dry store till Autmun.
Gardening is the great leveller.

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 16:06:58 »
I agree with Palastrus!

What I tend to do with my snowdrops if I want to lift them and have no real place in mind for them, is to plant a few in 5" pots and store them in a shaded spot until planting out time.

The beauty of this is they are easy to plant out as one root ball, and when the come up I have a neat little cluster.

The Gardener

garyp

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 08:44:36 »
Thanks for your replies. Having a battle with my new allotment at the moment as the weeds are flourishing!!! Which is taking a  lot of my time.
I will have to find a spot on there somewhere!

Cheers for now

Gary P.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal