Author Topic: soil and snow  (Read 999 times)

STHLMgreen

• Half Acre
    • grow things
soil and snow
« on: October 18, 2006, 23:20:28 »
I have heard from some of the others at the allotments that they put calcium (i think this is the right translation) on the snow when it falls and it eventually makes it down into the soil.

What does being covered in snow for a few months out of the year do to the soil anyways? (I'm new to having snow in the winter and to having an allotment!)

I also have heard that crushed egg shells will work if you donät want to buy anything, but you'd need a substantial amount.

Anyone heard of doing this in winter, know if it works, etc...?

urban gardening: my humble beginnings
http://growthings.blogspot.com

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: soil and snow
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 08:31:34 »
The ony thing I know about snow and soil is my ancient neighbour's often repeated warning, when I impatiently started to dig, about the dangers of digging snow into the ground, where it would stay for ever, regardless of the summer weather, and kill off your growing plants. Can't remember his exact words (long dead), but it was a kind of chant.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 16:15:55 »
I've been known to dig small quantities in, and it made no difference. A lot might not be a good idea though, as soil is an excellent insulator, and it might take months to melt, chilling your soil all that time. I don't think snow on top of soil is going to make much difference, except possibly to insulate it from extreme cold.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 17:52:22 »
Is this hypothetical or do you know something about the long range forecast that I don't?
 8)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 18:05:04 »
Hi all                 

Not heard of either idea, but agree with rob it will act as an insulater, leave nature to act as she will. Surly you haven't got snow yet ?
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

STHLMgreen

• Half Acre
    • grow things
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 21:54:49 »
No snow yet but it's been down to 3 degrees already and the snow tires may come out at the end of the month. (I'm in Stockholm)

Just trying to figure out why people at the allotments do some of the things they do! Allotments are new to me and I grew up in a place where it doesn't snow.

Thanks for the replies.

urban gardening: my humble beginnings
http://growthings.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal